Sign in to follow this  

MRP 1-20 / 7 segments display / toggle switches

Hi everyone. I tried to gathered all the informations I could in order to build my fighter cockpit but I have now some problems with no answers, could you try to help me there ?1. I hacked a keyboard in order to link it with all the switches I have : this worked like a charmed with pushbutton switch : I am able to produce 'g' for example. With a toggle switch I am only able to produce a continuous 'ggggggggggggggggg' : is there a way to avoid that ?2. I would like to know if the MRP 1-20 from Knitter-switch can be used as a rotary switch with the haccked keyboard method ( I mean without any other electronic devices like decoders and so on )? If so I've been in touch with a French company that will send me 4 of them for 35,54 euros ( shipping included ). I'll wait for your answer before to place an order.3. I am currently building a circuit using a MAX 7219 in order to drive my 7 segment digits. I would like to know if there are people who wrote codes that could transfer data from FS2002 to the MAX 7219 ( I would like to display NAV 1 for example ).If so is there a possibility to display NAV 1 and then NAV 2 after pushing a button ? If not, is this possible via the FSBUS method ?Thank you in advance for helping a newbie !

Guest RichardL

I can't answer any of your questions, but the Knitter switch comment has me drooling.Does that company export to the US? Can you provide the company name or website?Richard

Guest MikePowell

Hi,1) there are several solutions. There's a mechanical mod to the switch that turns it into a momentary contact type.(probably in FlightSim.com's "How To" postings, not sure)An electrical solution is to use your switch to power a relay. The trick is to put a fairly large capacitor in series with the relay coil. This way the relay only stays pulled in for as long as it takes the cap to charge up. The contacts on the relay are hooked to the keyboard. With multipole switches and relays you can come up with variations that give different actions on switch closure and opening. Downside is cost if you have lots of switches.An all electronics solution is to use the switch to trigger a monostable like a 74HC123. This will produce a short pulse that can gate a transistor that takes the place of the normal keyboard button. There may be a schematic on avsim/bluesideup.And there is always the keyboard encoder (Hagstrom, etc.) approach. This begins to look more attractive as the number of switches grows.2. Can't help you on this one. Not familiar with the switch's details.3. Several weeks ago (January???) there was an extensive thread concerning hooking a 7219 to a PC parallel port. I believe code was discussed. FSBUS is indeed another workable approach.Do you have any of your project up on website yet?Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

35.54 for 4 switches?? I just got 10 for less than that 2 weeks ago ...........how much they charged you/pc excluding shipping?Tassos

>35.54 for 4 switches?? I just got 10 for less than that 2 >weeks ago ...........how much they charged you/pc excluding >shipping? >Tassos I somehow think I wont be the only one asking "where??" ;-)Tuomas

The company told me that each MRP 1-20 was around 5 euros without VAT. This company is MITTEM and can be found on the knitter-switch / distributors / France web page.They told me that they could ship to US. Thanks for the advices about the toggle switch.

Then I guess is ok I bought them 4.10 each including VAT.Tuomas I got them from the distributor in Hungary, where are you located maybe I can send you some to try them out.Tassos

Frenchmaverik,For toggle switches issue go to www.flightsim.com section "HOW TO"and you will found an article on " HOW TO USE TOGGLE SWITCHES WITH COCKPIT KEYBOARD EMULATION ". That works, I use my toggle switches in my cockpit that way.RegardsAlberto Kunzel