Sign in to follow this  

ROTORY ENCODERS

Hi. I am a BLUESIDE UP user. check out the forum. there you will find a rotory decoder bd. and encoders. Of course you should all be using the EPIC card...but good luck anyway. Ron.

Guest kdarling

The question is, does the Blue Side Up rotary decoder work at OBS / trim wheel spinning speeds?Otherwise $150 for decoding eight rotaries has suddenly become a lot, especially if hooked from there to a Hagstrom. As Peter Holt pointed out, the hookup cost is zero if you use my shift/ctrl-letter key method for decoding straight from US$1.35 each switches.Then there's Leo's decoder that does three rotaries for $15, which if he gets it working for high spin rates, would take care of my OBS1, OBS2 and elevator trim wheel problems... my only high-speed ones. Most other up/down rotary situations (e.g. radio tuning) are of the slower variety.So back to the question above... what are people using now for changing the OBS and trim? Does the BSU decoder work at high speed? Its tech notes indicate a minumum 50ms between detents, which is fairly long.Thanks,Kev

Initially I had a problem with the speed of turning the knitter (in OBS etc) But I adjusted the PollInterval=1 in the Fsuipc.ini (I think it works only for Buttons..) and now works like a dream.Also as I posted in a new message , I found in the advanced user manual of the FSUIPC that now we can use the pulse rotaries what you used for the Kd method for joysticks/gamepads, even though I haven't tried it yet.Tassos

>Otherwise $150 for decoding eight rotaries has suddenly become>a lotYeah, the EPIC seems cool but that's the uncool part of it.. Of course if you spend thousands on your cockpit otherwise as well, it doesnt hurt much in the total budget. I have decided to not ask my wife if we can have a DC-9 front section in the living room... she's very understanding of this flying and simulator stuff, but one needs to draw the line somewhere :) That's my line. Flying the Cessna is probably cheaper too than *flying* such a big home sim (how much of the total time does one spend flying them anyway? Even this small project takes a lot of time to build :))>Then there's Leo's decoder that does three rotaries for $15,>which if he gets it working for high spin rates, would take>care of my OBS1, OBS2 and elevator trim wheel problems... my>only high-speed ones. Most other up/down rotary situations>(e.g. radio tuning) are of the slower variety.Hmm. I think the problem here might be the "chatter protection" of the router and PIC software - it does this to prevent the "bouncing" of switches for normal toggles which is good. But it kicks in for very fast rotaries I bet. They discussed this on the german forum at www.flightxpress.de and the 1.3 beta of the FSBUS software has a separate tab for "up/down switch" which apparently does not have this chatter protection, so that might be the solution. Though I did not get the up/down switch to work, the software seems to have some issues or I am trying the wrong way.. Maybe Dirk reads this himself and can advice.Tuomas