Sign in to follow this  

3 monitor setup Question

I am thinking about using one monitor for my main outside view with my gf4 ti4600 and buy two pci cards two run my panel, is this could this be done with 3 video cards and will this slow down my fs2002 and is this easy to set up beacuse when i tried NVIEW from nvidia and used two diplays one for the panel and one for the outside view I could only get a low resolution and the sim seemed like it was running kind of jumpy, and it just didnt look right? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANK YOU

Guest GPan

I currently have a similiar setup w/ a Ti4200 and 2 PCI cards with main panel on one and radio stack, gps & throttle quad on the other. I'm running an Athalon XP2000+ w/ 512 RAM and get consistantly 20-25 FPS with most everything maxed. Set-up was easy. Give it a try.

wow 20-25 constistantly, so pretty much the 3 card setup got you a little bit of a gain in performance? And what resoultion are you running at beacuse when I was using NVIEW by nvidia with my one card I could get the resolution to go high and lost alot of graphic performance will this let me hgave resolution of 1600*1200 32 bit, and how do you tell flight sim to run certain things on this and this card, is there a program for that. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Guest GPan

I'm only using one monitor from my Ti4200, as it did not come with a DVI connector, only a S-Video. I'm not using NView either. I am also running the main monitor (19")at 1600x1200 - 32 bit. The 2 PCI cards are running seperate 15" (1 Flat Panel & 1 CRT) with only panels & sub panels. I guess I am gaining some frames because the main card is only running one view.To do this, enable the monitors in windows, then open the panel and drag it to the second monitor. Then open the radio stack, GPS & throttle quad and drag them to the third monitor. When you get everything setup the way you like, save the flight as your default flight and the windows will remain there for that particular aircraft. If you fly different planes (I currently only use the default king air) then just set up a flight for each plane & save it. I also run a laptop w/ WideFS for Activesky, FSFlightmax & Garmin 530, along with a checklist in notepad.I am awaiting delivery of an 18" Flat panel to replace the 15" CRT, which will then display the main panel. I hope to grab a LCD projector from work to test using that as the main outside view via the S-Video connection. If that looks good, down the road I may opt to go that way but that's big $$.Once you get started with multi-monitors, be careful, cause all you want to do is upgrade, upgrade, upgrade!!!!

>I currently have a similiar setup w/ a Ti4200 and 2 PCI cards>with main panel on one and radio stack, gps & throttle quad on>the other. I'm running an Athalon XP2000+ w/ 512 RAM and get>consistantly 20-25 FPS with most everything maxed. Set-up was>easy. Give it a try. Gentlemen,What Windows are you using ? (Win 98/Me/XP ? )RgdsAlberto Kunzel

>Gentlemen,>What Windows are you using ? (Win 98/Me/XP ? )>RgdsI bet WinXP, 'cause it can naturally (ie without any other program/driver) use multiple graphic cards.I tried for a couple of days (just because the 2nd monitor was not mine) the 2 monitor setup: Radeon 8500 for front view, a cheap and old millennium2 (not 3D capable) for the 2d panel.No frame hit, and nice front view :)

Hi guysI run a two monitor setup on my main FS puter. One 19" CRT on a gForce3 card w/128Mb for the main panel and outside view and another 19" CRT on a no-name TNT2 PCI card w/32Mb for the overhead, pedestal and FMC. Usually I fly the PIC767 or the DF737. Both cards run at 1280x960x32. The frame rate is not stunning but it is adequate for the system I'm running this on.I run on Windows 98SE and it works just terrific. I can see a small drop in FPS when opening up all the panels on the second monitor. Setting this up was really easy using the unified nVidia Detonator drivers.My main system is a Dell P3/800MHz with 384 RAM. I run Squawkbox, AIBridge, ActiveSky wxRE and Roger Wilco on a second 450MHz computer with 64Mb RAM connected to the main with WideFS server/client.Regards

Guest kdarling

> I am awaiting delivery of an 18" Flat panel to replace the 15" CRT, which will then display the main panel. I hope to grab a LCD projector from work to test using that as the main outside view via the S-Video connection. If that looks good, down the road I may opt to go that way but that's big $$.Projecting the outside view makes a huge difference to me in realism. You actually get to focus your attention between the instruments and then the outside view.They're not necessarily really big $$ compared to large LCD monitors. I bought a 1024x768 projector from eBay a month ago for about $450. Of course, you have to be willing to get another $300-400 bulb if/when it reaches its ~2000 hour life. But that gives me about 3 hours a day usage over a couple of years.My setup is being built into an old computer desk in a small (50" wide x 28" deep) alcove. I bought a $10 wide white pulldown window shade as the screen (works okay in the semi-dark), and the projector is behind me about 8' feet away from the screen on top of a bookshelf. So I get about a 50"x36" view.Cheers,Kev

Guest GPan

Wow, $450 for 1024x768 - I guess it's a used projector? I really hadn't thought of going that route (opting for a used one) but that's a great idea. I've done a search on the internet for projection screen and I think you can get a 50x50" for about $80 new. Needless to say I'll be scouring e-bay for a good used projector. Thanks.

Guest kdarling

Btw, look for a projector that's been used by an office, not for viewing TV at home. Office ones should have super low times since people hate long meetings .Then use Google to find old reviews and/or manufacturer specs on the projector. The one I got allows rear projection (mirror image) and vertical swap (for mounting upside down from celing). Also look for keystone correction so you can mount at an angle.Yes, $450 for 1024x768, but I was pretty lucky I think, finding an auction ending on a holiday (that's the best time to get ebay deals... your competitors are out of town! hehe). I was stunned to later find out that the model I won had originally sold for almost $10,000 a few years before!! So there's definitely some deals out there from offices upgrading to smaller devices.Good luck!Kev

Guest GPan

My 18" LCD arrived the other day, so here's a shot of my multi-monitor set-up. I hope I don't exceed the photo rules, if so, I'm sure the moderator will pull them.Oh well, theyt are too large a file. I need to learn how to compress them down--sorry.

BoydHow many Pc's are running that three screen setup?Steve

Guest GPan

For my setup, it's just one PC, an AMD XP2000+ w/ 512 ram & GForce Ti 4200 + 2 PCI cards for panels/instruments.