Sign in to follow this  
Guest Glenn Weston

FSbus Display

Guest Glenn Weston

OK I have etched the 7-segment boards the right way round now & have checked that the 16 pins buzz out fine between the controller board & the display card, however I cannot get the Display test in the router to make the dsplay work.The PIC programs fine, when I do the voltage tests on the PIC pins that all looks OK too, just no display. I am using common cathode modules that have 5 pins at the top & bottom of the module, Pin 8 & Pin 3 are the cathode pins.Any help with some other things to check would be appreciated.One other thing is in the Dispay Test in the router there are three buttons marked "button2" "button3" "button4".....does anyone know what these do ?Cheers Glenn.

Guest raflyer

Hi Glenn,Where did you find the 7-segment displays? I haven't been able to find the small (.30-.38") with the pins on the top and bottom. As for your problem, did you double check those caps at the crystal? :) I know they bit me twice! Not sure either what the test buttons do.Rob

Guest raflyer

Thanks for the links, you wouldn't happen to know the height of the led display would you and the part number from Jaycar? Couldn't find the spec sheet.Thanks,ROB

Guest Glenn Weston

Rob, the ones I purchased were from Dick Smith the catalog No. is Z4133 (Orange) & Z4130 (Red) & it is a 14mm display The actual size of the block is 19.05mm High & 12.4mm Wide, What I did was solder IC sockets into the Display boards & these 7-Segs will plug straight in, therefore they can easily be swapped out if they ever go faulty or if you pick up some with a different colour later down the track it will only take a second to Switch them over.Look here:http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.fileread...logs/CTG0000610The catalog number for the Jaycar equivilent looks like ZD1855Glenn.

>Thanks for the links, you wouldn't happen to know the height>of the led display would you and the part number from Jaycar?>Couldn't find the spec sheet.>Thanks,>ROBThe ones I have are of type "MAN6680" and they are red. Fit to the FSBUS pcb holes. I think either digikey or mouser had them too. I got them from a friend who happened to have a bunch.Tuomas

Guest raflyer

>Rob, the ones I purchased were from Dick Smith the catalog>No. is Z4133 (Orange) & Z4130 (Red) & it is a 14mm display The>actual size of the block is 19.05mm High & 12.4mm Wide, What I>did was solder IC sockets into the Display boards & these>7-Segs will plug straight in, therefore they can easily be>swapped out if they ever go faulty or if you pick up some with>a different colour later down the track it will only take a>second to Switch them over.>>Look here:>http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.fileread...logs/CTG0000610>>The catalog number for the Jaycar equivilent looks like>ZD1855>>>Glenn.Therein lies the problem guys, the fsbus display pcb has the holes on the ends for the led segments. Sure you can get them anywhere but they are to big. 14mm or .50" is all you find. Well the stock boeing size which is what all mine are can only fit an 8mm or .30-.38" high segment and those are impossible to find with the leads on the ends.I guess i'll search for alternate method of displaying read-outs. Maybe InterfaceIT from FDS?? Thanks for your though,Rob

Guest Glenn Weston

Well I got it sorted, turned out to be a bad track,hairline open circuit that I could not see, again around the oscillator area, I populated the other 5 controllers & found they were working so I just started making resistive measurments & comparing the first controller to the others, it had to be the first one that was a dud !!! Murphy Rules, Allways just remember that..Rob with the problem of the displays not fitting, why not make up a little adaptor, I will probably do that here as I don't want all my readouts the same size, there are smaller digits readilly available, the other ones I have seen have the pins down the sides, there are only 10 Pins to make an adaptor for per digit, actually 9 cause 2 of them are joined together (the cathode). A piece of vero board & a few wires would do the trick one rainy afternoon.Glenn.