Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

Newb question looking at cost to start a cockpit

Guest SlimDady

Im just curious what I would be looking at for cost on a a320 or similar panel. It would be totally enclosed.not including cost of computers. what would be the best method to go. Project majenta seems to be the most cost efficient way of going. I have access to lots of old hard ware for little to no cost. I can find some monitors pretty cheap too.I would like the ability to operate some systems with the use of switches, buttons and such. Pretty much eliminating the need for a keyboard.I would love to build some form of enclosed cockpit. just as in real life.Im curious what method I should use to display the outside cockpit view. I dont much like the idea of staring at multiple monitors especially when I can see the borders of them. So what options does that leave me.?? some for of projection I would guess.Will it be compatable with century of flight is my biggest question. From the sounds of it it should, but i guess we cant really know for sure until its releasedAs you can tell im new to all this, but id like to get started atlest with plans and an idea of cost, so maybe one day here I can begin

Guest SlimDady

Right now I have a budget of 3000$ cad, that I can use for this now. Of course there is always more coming.

Guest Salbado

Good question...If you do all your own woodworking, soldering, wiring, networking etc..then you will just need materials and software. Panels and various kits from either AGT or FDS will add up ($1,500+), electronic boards could also weigh in at about $500+ (3 or 4) if you go Hagstrom - don't know about EPIC. If you shortcut with custom GoFlight hardware then each of those components are about $100. a pop...consider 4 (2 radios, Xpdr, and Comm)...the good thing is that they get you flying real fast. Other odds and ends, like lighting, seats, switches (expensive if you use good toggles and pushbuttons), paint, wood, knobs, wire, carpets, surge protectors, and an LCD projector, a decent rig starts to look good at about $5,000.00 US and that is with no computers...with some real good computers a neat Bus starts to look good (realsitic) at about $8,000 USD. Looks "good" is a relative term, and it depends on the fidelity that you are trying to achieve. When I fly my sim, I get a terrific sense of flight and challenge (especially in LIFR with real weather)and it is a wonderful hobby. No regrets here...and I am not done yet. On the other hand, as a PPL/Inst. I have punched a million holes in the sky at $100.00 and hour wet, and for the cost of my sim would get about 50 or 60 hours in the tin can...waiting for clearances. I rather have the sim...plu, I get to have a glass fo wine while I shoot 100 and 1/2's into Katmandu.

Guest SlimDady

So I guess I could build most the cockpit for about what I have. maybe alittle moreThe only issue now is finding some sort of display method out the window thats a little more cost effective. I may have to keep my eyes on ebay auctions or any deals I can find for a projector

>Looks "good" is a relative term, and it depends on the>fidelity that you are trying to achieve. When I fly my sim, I>get a terrific sense of flight and challenge (especially in>LIFR with real weather)and it is a wonderful hobby. No regrets>here...and I am not done yet. >>On the other hand, as a PPL/Inst. I have punched a million>holes in the sky at $100.00 and hour wet, and for the cost of>my sim would get about 50 or 60 hours in the tin>can...waiting for clearances. I rather have the sim...plu, I>get to have a glass fo wine while I shoot 100 and 1/2's into>Katmandu.Whoa..An italian PPL/Instructor?Are you based at LIRU?

Guest Salbado

Negative LGA New YorkPPL - Instrument RatedItalian yes...