Sign in to follow this  

How many Screens can it run?

HiI am in planning (ie that denial stage stage before spending) and I have a P3 750mhz with an AGP card. Thanks to Patrics cockpit site (great resource)I am inspired. Could I rig 2 PCI video cards along with my AGP card and run the Project Magenta stuff - PFD/ND on screen 1, Eicas on 2 and FMC on three?There should be room if i strip out the modem and sound card!Would it crawl?SteveBAW166

Guest PeterK

PeterKIm running a celleron 300A with 200meg of ram a banshee3d cardand 2 PCI mach 64 2meg video cards...Ok im not running all thewhisles in fs2002 but the frame rate is 15 to 25 fps...the unlocked screens panel,radios,compass dont seem to slow the computer down...The GPS does kill it and the pop up sceneryand tree farms in fs2002 start to kill it though..Personnal i hate the synthetic buildings and floating treesnever run it...pete http://home.attbi.com/~fs-boneyard

>>Hi>>I am in planning (ie that denial stage stage before spending)>and I have a P3 750mhz with an AGP card. Thanks to Patrics>cockpit site (great resource)I am inspired. Could I rig 2 PCI>video cards along with my AGP card and run the Project Magenta>stuff - PFD/ND on screen 1, Eicas on 2 and FMC on three?>There should be room if i strip out the modem and sound card!You better ask this to Enrico at PM.Working they surely work, but problems may arouse with the "windows not being in focus", but since i don't have PM i can't say.

Guest Lobaeux4

I don't have PM, looking into getting it though. I'm not sure you'd be able to do all that on the one computer. Maybe the PFD/ND and EICAS. It'd really be interesting to find out though. If it's possible, it would free up one computer of mine for an outside view.Lobaeux

Hi I just the other day tried to ruun my PM demo on my two card/monitor rig running Win98SE and was devastated by the low framerates I got. Checked the cards (1 gForce3 and 1 TNT2) and confimred they had OpenGL drivers. Turns out OpenGL is disabled on all monitors on a multi monitor setup. As soon as I deactivated my PCI TNT2 the frame rates skyrocketed again! I have heard rumours that WinXP are supposed to overcome this problem but I do not know. Maybe someone knows XP better to give a Go/No Go on the OpenGL issue?Regards

>Hi >>I just the other day tried to ruun my PM demo on my two>card/monitor rig running Win98SE and was devastated by the low>framerates I got. Checked the cards (1 gForce3 and 1 TNT2) and>confimred they had OpenGL drivers. >Turns out OpenGL is disabled on all monitors on a multi>monitor setup. As soon as I deactivated my PCI TNT2 the frame>rates skyrocketed again! >I have heard rumours that WinXP are supposed to overcome this>problem but I do not know. Maybe someone knows XP better to>give a Go/No Go on the OpenGL issue?>>RegardsIt is surely possible (on PM forum there are a number of people using such a setup) but i can't help how.Anyway, one issue that came up lately don't remember where is a conflict happening on systems with 2 or more nvidia cards: every one has to have its own driver version, otherwise the system will get "confused".I can't confirm this, i only read it.

Mats:>I just the other day tried to run my PM demo on my two card/monitor >rig running Win98SE and was devastated by the low framerates I got. >Checked the cards (1 gForce3 and 1 TNT2) and confirmed they had >OpenGL drivers. >Turns out OpenGL is disabled on all monitors on a multi monitor >setup. As soon as I deactivated my PCI TNT2 the frame rates >skyrocketed again! >I have heard rumours that WinXP are supposed to overcome this >problem but I do not know. Maybe someone knows XP better to give a >Go/No Go on the OpenGL issue? As I understand it, PM really isn't meant for a single computer / multiple monitor setup, but for multiple computer setups. If you're running more than one monitor on one computer you really don't 'need' PM, as you can just display a different panel on each monitor anyway. I also tried the PM demo on one computer / two monitors, and it was just as bad as running it on a non-OpenGL second computer (Allthough it didn't affect the FS framerate on the server computer) Running FS on one computer / two monitors, with a panel on the second monitor and the outside view on the first worked just fine.Richard

Erupter:Hey, that would be interesting if it's possible. Can't find anything at the PM newsgroup though. Is this related to WinXP?Richard:Yep, that is my conclusion as well. Searching on the Internet gave more evidence that hardware OpenGL acceleration is not working good/at all on a multi-monitor setup and Win98. Maybe WinXP handles it better? PM does recommend the software to be run on networked PCs with ONE monitor connected to each and that is how I plan to build the presentation system in my pit.I just wanted to share my recent findings with Cordelia as he wanted to try running PM on a multi-monitor system. ;-)Cheers

>Yep, that is my conclusion as well. Searching on the Internet>gave more evidence that hardware OpenGL acceleration is not>working good/at all on a multi-monitor setup and Win98. WinXP is supposed to allow for multimonitor accelerated functions.Though i can't confirm that because i don't have a multi monitor setup with ogl capable cards (my second is a very old millennium2 just to display panels).I've seen similar discussions and experiences posted on their forum a while ago, maybe you can ask.