Sign in to follow this  

Introduction

Hi all,I have been sneaking around here for some time and been collecting ideas and stuff and now I thought its time I introduced myself and maybe generally participated in the discussion.About myself: A340 builder, living in Bangkok/Thailand, German, absolutely no manual or electronic skills, I embarked on this adventure about 1 year ago. I used to be a PPL for 28 years and had to give up flying due to the requirements of my job. My flightsimming experience dates back to the times when FS still ran on my Apple II.Everything else can be seen on my homepage http://wallentins.comI would be happy to exchange some experiences with people who are like me.... Erhard in Bangkok

Guest MikePowell

Welcome Erhard,You have a very informative site, lots of pictures showing the details.Best Regards,Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

Guest Lobaeux4

Great site Erhard. I've been looking to start a home cockpit, I've got limited space living in base housing right now. But, hopefully we'll move and I can begin building. My idea is to go along with what you've got, originally a front panel and build from there. I'll definetly be referencing it when I build my A320 cockpit. My only problem is I like to fly more than I like to build, but I don't want to spend tons of money to do this. Hence, the quandry, lol. Oh, and my wife is also Thai!! She's not all that keen on my flightsimming hobby, but it does keep me out of the bar!!Welcome,Lobaeux

hi Lobaeux,do you live in Thailand ?Erhard

Guest Lobaeux4

No, I live in Little Rock Arkansas. My wife was born in Bangkok, her father was military, so she's half Thai. Still get all the benefits of her being Thai though, especially the cooking, but somehow the temper is still in her too. Can't explain that one though, lol. Lobaeux

Guest Salbado

Hello Erhard...I too am building an Airbus with major components from FDS, Advanced Graphics, GoFlight, Hagstrom and Project Magenta.I saw your website and noticed that we are probably at the same level of skill in wiring and engineering. I too am comfortable with my computers but the physical building was really tough...I have been building about a year now and need 2 more phases to complete...the FCU and the Throttles. I hope I can use Peter Cos' Tekworks to finish the FCU so I am waiting (patiently) on them. Nice job...keep up the good work. You can see my "Bus" on Project Magenta...Salvatore Franco - NY.

Hello Salvatore,I looked at your pic in the PM forum - you are obviously much more advanced than I am, I wish I were that far..... Now working on the glare shield and still undecided whether to use part Hagstrom and part EPIC or only EPIC. Hagstrom is so much easier, but then the display issue is not solved. I was looking at Tekworks but it seems still far off and I did not wait that long so I bought EMDA cards, rotary decoders and the LED-holders from CSI. Now I am learning how to wire and solder the stuff. New experiences every day....I am desparately looking for A340 throttles to get rid of that CH yoke on the pedestal, but it seems very difficult. Which MCDU are you using ?Erhard

Guest Salbado

Erhard, I too look at your site...very nice.I am using the MCDU kit from Peter Cos...nice kits but hard to wire well...at least for me. Many cold spots in the solder and I have repaired it 3 times already..getting tired. I wanted to invest in a CSI but the dimensions are not good for my pedestal...I believe the width of CSI is 157 mm and I need 146mm from AGT Pedestal. I recall you had the same problem, yes? They work easily with Project Magenta and Hagstrom 72 Key Encoder...but the wiring is a real pain. Let me know how you make out with the glaresheild as I have not developed that yet either. Regards...Sal

Hi Sal,I sent you an e-mail a while ago - not sure if it go through though