Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Anyone use a Fresnal lens to increase screen size?

Guest Lobaeux4

Mike,Took a look at all your links, man, you've got a great site for this cockpit building-addiction!I checked out those sites for the Fresnel lens. The only one that seemed appealing though is the one from RC Simulations. Too bad it's in the UK and I'm sure shipping is going to double the price. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find something.Thanks,Lobaeux

LobaeuxI appreciate from your message that you are based in the States but it may be of some assistance to you to enquire from the UH based firm shown below if they would freight to the States as the cost of the product with them is

Guest Lobaeux4

Thanks CapJack,Just checked out that website, it's now 29.99 pounds, might see if I can find the same thing here in the states, but if not, this might be the ticket. If it works I'm all over it.Lobaeux

Guest dakenskys

Hi All -If you really don't mind paying a high price...you can take a look at this site. The quality is very good though as they handle industrial types of optics:http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/DisplayPro...?productid=2040Another option, a bit cheaper is to go to a truck or van speed shop. They usually have some Fresnel lenses to put in the back of a truck window to magnify the outside rear of the van.Regards,Ken W.

HelloDoes anyone have a website address for a company that sells fresnel lenses in europe, I beleive that there is one in belgium or holland but I can't find anything on google. Since I live in Denmark, ordering in the states would be too expensive.RegardsPeter Skotte

Guest MikePowell

Peter,A couple of the lens sources on my links page are UK based. Perhaps they have reps local to you.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Peter!About a year and a half ago I got my fresnel lens from www.worldwidevision.nl but the exact type I bought, isn't in their present online catalogue anymore. Yet it's worth having a look there, I guess.Good luck!Jaap Verduijn.

Peter you might find my previous post on this subject helpful do not let the price put you off this is a very good lens in my opinionBest of luck capjack

Thanks guys.Now it's a matter of finding the right one(s).BTW, if anyone of you are into A320 building. Please be sure to check out http://www.hcsdt.comThis week-end or early next week the new Ecam and Overhead logic software will be avaliable(payware) it's VERY cool.You can also already now download a bunch of other great tools and glass cockpit software. Amongst others CRJ700 GC and MD11 GC stuff. RegardsPeter

Guest jaapverduijn

Hi Peter!I can't read that site... It seems the background is in dark grey, with the letters in somewhat darker grey. Is it me, is it my machine, or is it the site?Jaap Verduijn.

Hey JaapWhat browser are you using?We tested it with IE, Mozilla and Opera with no problems.A few things to check is:1. The brightness/contrast of your screen2. You need to let the website decide the colors to use, some browsers have the capability to override the colorscheme (opera) this can cause some mixups in color management.3. The browser should be able to handle Cascading Style Sheets as well as having cockies enabled.The site should look like this:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/14024.gifIf you still can't view the site let me know.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/14025.gif

Guest jaapverduijn

Hi Peter!Yes, that page comes out the same on my rig. It's the other pages where I cannot really distinguish the letters against the background. The background seems much darker there.Be well!Jaap Verduijn.PS: It's IE I'm using.

Mike; Thank you for your site. More info than one can digest at many sittings. Regarding fresnel lenses. I have seen no mention of the possibility of setting up not one but two lenses in front of a monitor. I am just starting my research, so please excuse what might very well be a moot point. I envision two different size lenses per monitor to expand the view, and using numerous monitors, perhaps of varing sizes, to create a wide field of vision. This might certainly be a good solution for the DC-3 cockpit I'm planning. Could you please tell me if this is possible or not? Thank you

Great info guys !If someone could help..I have a few questions. ok I have a 17" flat screen...Normally, it is~32" from my face. I could put it back to over 4' if I needed to.W these specs could anyone give me a Idea of what size lens I might start to look for? I was guessing something in the 26" range?I'm thinking about perhaps calling around old TV repair shops and see if I can't find a lens that way. Man I'm kinda excited about this little project! Any tips not mentioned(Even obvious ones!) Please share!!!Walt,EDIT- ok now looking at this great site http://www.rickleephoto.com/rlcoll.htm it appears the Lens does NOT have to be much larger that the actuall monitor to get a large screen efect?

Guest jaapverduijn

The size of the fresnel lens should be about the same as the size of your monitor screen . Just a tiny bit larger won't hurt, but MUCH larger is a waste of money, and a waste of space.Jaap Verduijn.