Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Anyone use a Fresnal lens to increase screen size?

Thank you again! I ordered one from Maxaids and it should arrive in the next day of so. I will relay what my impression of it soon !Walt,

Guest jaapverduijn

Good oh, Walt! I'm sure you will enjoy the lens!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest Lobaeux4

Great Walt, I'll be eagerly awaiting to hear your report.

Thanks to all the input from my original post.I decided to purchase a Fresnal lense (cost GBP 33.00) and it arrived yesterday. Easy to erect, and first impressions are great. Although there is a slight loss in definition, it is not enough to make guages etc. unreadable. The magnification, with the screen around 6" from the pc (best for maintaining definition), creates the impression that my 17" monitor is now nearer around 21" or more, so immersion in the Sim is vastly improved. Also, scenery seems to be more 3D.Conclusion - would recommend if one can obtain at similar cost, since is a great inexpensive way to obtain a much larger screen.Regards,Stuart Hyett:9

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hey Stuart glad to hear you like it, as mine is due to arrive today! :-) Question, what size Lens did you get? I have a 17" Monitor also and have ordered a 25" lens from Maxaid.Thanks!Walt

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Walt!What on earth are you going to do with a 25 inch fresnel lens in front of a 17 inch monitor? That's a MAJOR overkill!I have a nominal 22 inch monitor, with an effective screen diameter of 20 inch. The diameter of my fresnel lens is about 19.5 inch, which is (even slightly MORE than) sufficient. You didn't order a "TV enlarger", did you? That would not be the perfect solution for a computer screen. Well, keep us posted, I'm really curious what made you decide on such an enormous lens!Jaap Verduijn.

Hey Jaap,Well I was confused which way to go on model and size.. I went w this model becuse of charlieZ This is a quote from him..."I have been using a 30 inch TV enlarger on my 19 inch monitor for the past 2 years and it is 12 inches away from my monitor with a cardboard shadow box on the top and sides. I do not get any blurry edges and my monitor appears to be a 24 inch one." He seemed to be very happy w the TV enlarger model... I went 25 because that was the size Maxaid said would be for my size screen.. It said something like for 16-19" screens.OH Cool! Doorbell JUST rang!! Guess what just arrived!? Bback in a while for a short time review!!Walt,

Guest jaapverduijn

Looking forward to it, Walt! Hve fun!Jaap Verduijn.

OK...That kicks butt!! :-bat Well worth the 30 something bucks! Maybe a 3% blurr, IF that..Not appreciable IMO. It makes my 17" appear atleast 20+!It comes w a easy mount on a little track so you can adjust your depth and height on the fly.I'm thinking of a perhaps a black cloth shroud around it so I can slide it in and out easier.. not sure yet.FS2004, Track IR and this Lens.. I'm ready to rock ! :-kewl Walt,

Guest Lobaeux4

I ordered the computer screen enlarger from Maxaid for 19" screens. It looks like the one that hooks up to the computer monitor itself. I may have to email back or cancel and get the larger one, or try it out and send it back if it doesn't work like I want.

Yeah I was real close to ordering that one.. Exp. after the lady told me I was making a mistake and that I really needed the computer one.I canceled my order and told her I would have to call back. I then re-read CharlieZ's post and decided that I had I had it right the first time...I dunno' maybe the computer one may work as well?Walt,

Guest Lobaeux4

I'll find out in a few days. If it doesn't work or I don't like it I'll just send it back and get the other one. I think it should work, I just won't be able to attach it directly to the screen, I'll have to make some sort of box for it.

Be sure and let us know what you think of it.. I think its still a grey area which one is best suited for PC Gaming.Walt,

Guest jaapverduijn

Unless you're sitting ten feet away from your monitor, the "TV enlarger" isn't too good an idea...Jaap Verduijn.