Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Anyone use a Fresnal lens to increase screen size?

Guest jaapverduijn

Hi Walt!It's because of the optical characteristics, that are completely different for a TV-enlarger that's used from the normal TV distance, and the computer-enlarger that's used from the normal computer distance. In short: a screen that's viewed from 10 feet away, needs a different lens with f'instance a different focal length than a screen that's only 2 feet away. It really is for a reason that manufacturers make two variations: one for computers, one for television sets. But how are you doing? If your new lens is serving you well, than that's all that counts!Jaap Verduijn.

Yeah so far so good... I don't even take it off to surf the web! How long do you think you have before your lens arrives ? Curious as to the difference.So your thinking the lens will be different on your version ?Walt,

Guest jaapverduijn

I've had mine for a year and a half now, to my great satisfaction. It's the computer version, of course (grin)!Jaap Verduijn.

Oops mix up on who had what, sorry Jaap.. Walt,

Guest jaapverduijn

No problem Walt! In a long thread like this, keeping track of who's who and what's what tends to get a bit confusing every now and then (grin)!Jaap Verduijn.

Hi Walt,Just one question re. your Fresnal lens. Which way round do you use it - rough side towards you or towards the screen? Have been using mine with the rough side towards the screen as it seems to distort the screen sides otherwise, but I'm not sure if this is correct, since some pictures of similar screens in use appear to be convex towards the user (rather than concave) and this would be the opposite to how I am using.Glad you like your screen, by the way.All the best,Stuart Hyett::-hmmm

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Its funny I went thru the same delima you mentioned! :-doh I so far like the rough side in(towards the screen.) also as there was more blurr the other way.I at first went a few days the other way as to me thats what seemed logical.I haven't seen discusion one way or the other so...Walt,

Guest jaapverduijn

The "rough" side should be towards the screen and the "smooth" side towards the viewer, which really isn't too difficult to figure out for yourself. The usual computer screen is convex towards the viewer, which means that (in order to prevent odd optical effects) the fresnel lens also should have its convex side towards the viewer. Which in turn means that the "smooth" side, which is by defninition the convex side, is also towards the viewer. Jaap Verduijn.

Jaap,Thank you for the scientific explanation, and yes I had worked that out for myself, purely on the impression that the screen gives. It's just that it physically seemed to be the wrong way round.Thanks again for clearing that up.REgards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Guest jaapverduijn

Yes, you figured it out alright. And isn't the improvement caused by a fresnel lens amazing?!Jaap Verduijn.

>Lobaeux>...This is>exactly the same product as that offered by RC sim as I have>purchased from both in the past and can vouch for this even to>the packing box...> This is the one from the www.idealhomehomeshopping.com site (code is now 32120)http://www.idealhomehomeshopping.com/csp/i...ducts/32120.jpgIs this the same as the RC Simulations one...?

The answer to your enquiry would be yes as far as I can adjudge from the displayed photograph. I don't know what RC are currently selling but at the time I purchased a lens from them they were exactly the same as that sold by Ideal Homes [ I stillhave both screens and they are identical ] I purchased from RC on 6 Dec 2000 at a cost including del inside UK of

Guest Lobaeux4

Here's the one that just came from UPS. I've put it together and did one quick little test look. Sides clip together, it puts the lens about 5 inches from the screen. It comes with little velcro tape to attach it to the monitor, it fits perfectly on my 19" Samsung. I'm going to put it on and try it tonite for a longer test. Mainly, I want to see if it puts too much strain on my eyes and gives me headaches. I can tell you from the first look that Oleksiy Frolov's Dash 8 panel is way more legible using this lens!! Don't know so much about the "3D-like" look, didn't really notice, but there isn't much blur at all, and if anything gives the screen a "flat-panel" look. So far, so good.I plan on using the 19" Samsung as my forward, no panel view, and using a 17" monitor below it to display gauges. Hope the frame rate hit isn't too bad. Once I move I plan on building a small pit, mainly to house the two monitors, and cover with a faux Airbus panel. I'll also put in a vehicle seat, pedestal, and area for the stick and throttle.