Sign in to follow this  
Guest fmw@fmw.dk

FSBUS problem

Guest fmw@fmw.dk

HelloI have now made the FSCOM and the FSKEY, and it run and fuktion.But i have a small problem:When i write the flash, I must do it servel time befor i get no error message, but after servel try, it finish the write flash.Is my computer to fast to write flash, it is a Pentium 4, 2,8 Ghz.I use only 10 cm kabel for RS232, but still the same problem.Do any have the same problem??RegardsFinnDenmark

Guest jpcxcf

Hi, the 10cm cable should be between the COM board and the KEY board not between the PC and the COM board.Regards,Pedro

Guest Glenn Weston

Hi Finn, Also Check that your supply voltage is clean, preferably use a regulated bench type power supply, I have read reports of plug packs sometimes not suitable, probably cause their filtering & regulation is not fantastic as compared to a bench supply.One other thing to try, to eliminate PC problems is to try another PC, say a laptop or something, then you will know if it's the PC end or the FSbus end. Your PC specifications sounds like it should be more that enough for the job though.Cheers Glenn.

Guest fmw@fmw.dk

Hi GlennNow i try to use another PC, a Pentium 4, 800 Mhz, and there was no problem, at first time it write the flash with no error.What are the differenc betwen a 800 Mhz and a 2,8 Ghz, on the side of RS 232??RegardsFinn

Guest Glenn Weston

Finn, Very interesting, it may just be something to do with the Uarts implimented on your system board that you are using, I have heard reports of people with fast AMD systems with similar problems, so I am not sure what that could be, You could maybe try a PCI Serial card in that system, these are pretty cheap & see if that then works.Glenn.

Guest jmi

This is someway known problem.Flashing is quite time critical operation. I can't flash anything with my P800. My 300MHz Celeron flashes sometimes. Depends phase of the Moon. And my gaming system, AMD XP1800+ flashes everything everytime when i try.Like Glenn tought, I think too that it depends speed of the processor and UART in motherboard. PCI-card with COM-board is not sure solution. There is differences on these too.But, when you got PIC flashed there is not usually need to reflash it. And even my 300MHz Celeron have speed more than enough to use FSBus in normal mode.- J

Guest jmi

>Hi Finn, Also Check that your supply voltage is clean,>preferably use a regulated bench type power supply, I have>read reports of plug packs sometimes not suitable, probably>cause their filtering & regulation is not fantastic as>compared to a bench supply.FSBus doesn't care is voltage supply is not accurate. Just to monitor that voltage does not drop under 9 volts. In this case MCRL line might drop too much. It is some 13.4-13.6 volts and PIC specs says that it have to be between 12 and 14 volts.Both, 5 volt and 13.5 volt are already regulated on COMIII board.Unregulated 9 volts, 300mA power is enough for flashing. (yes, it is tested). And if you add heatsink to 7805 regulator, you can easily use 12 volts what you get from normal PC-power.- J

We also have noticed in a few cases where the problem was Win98. Again last night at the aviation club: A friend tried flashing at home in his Win98 machine - no go. Then we tried again with his Win2000 laptop and it worked like a charm.Things to check: * Plug just one board in the COM-card for flashing * Check that the jumpers are in "flash" mode for *both* the COM module and the board you are flashing * Check that power is on in FSBUS (happens too :) * Check that you plugged the ribbon cables the right way around (you can burn the pic's if they are wrong) * Check that PICs are the right way around in their sockets * Check that the ribbon cable connectors are connected properly (not half-loose) * Might help to use a short ribbon cable for flashingTuomas