Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark McG

Audon Keyboard Encoder - Substitute for Hagstrom Encoder

Guest Mark McG

Found this while looking for a supplier for a Hagstrom Encoder in the UK.The main benefit seems to be that the unit would cost me about 1/2 the price of importing a Hagstrom into the UK. http://www.audon.co.uk/kbe-24.htmlCould the KBE-64 be used in place of a Hagstrom KE72. If so, then the possibility of creating my own FMC for about

I think they should work but they can not accept enough switches.The FMC has 69 buttonsThe kbe 24 can only accept 24, even with the kbe 64 you will not have enough.Norbert Bosch

Guest Mark McG

Thanks Norbert.I was thinking of maybe getting 2 KBE64, but first I am going to email them and see how much a 72 button version would cost.

Guest AirPanther

Just hack a normal keyboard. You don't need macros or toggle switches right? You can hook up as many buttons as you want and you can buy it at your local computer store.Robert

Guest Mark McG

Robert,I will probably go down the keyboard route, only need to figure out the circuit for the timers to be able to do CTRL+SHIFT+1 etc.Also need to figure out how to make the +/- button toggle. May use the empty position for one of these functions.

Guest AirPanther

Can the CDU buttons be remapped? Maybe via the ini file?Robert

Guest Mark McG

Maybe,I am using the 767 PIC software. In the menu there is the option to assign different keys. I would need to print this off, along with all the other PIC key combos and the normal FS key combos.I know that the following can be programmed normally thru the keyboard:A-Z, 1-9 + / - DEL CLR EXEC KEY NEXT PAGE PREV PAGEI can also use F1 - F12 for the LSKs.I need to make sure that I have the FMC switched to accept direct keyboard entries. I reckon this leaves about 10 buttons that I would need to be able to find keys for.If I can find 10 spare individual keys, then I reckon I may have my solution.

Mark,The keyboard route may work, but if you plan to add more switches later on, I would go for the Keyboard Encoder route. It's much more flexible. I am using two KE72 keyboard encoders for my FMC/Pedestal for PIC767, giving me 144 switches, which is still not sufficient.... ;-)Have a look at http://www.nicokaan.nl in the projects page.For the Audon Keyboard Encoder you have to check whether it can generate a delay between two key strokes such as SHIFT-K or not, otherwise it will not work with the PIC767 software. The Hagstrom encoder is capable of doing that.I have redefined all PIC Custom defined Keys I need, so to have almost every function coded with two-key-strokes. This is important because when in KA mode (KB input switched to FMC keyboard) it turns out that some keys still reach your main panel...(sideffect). I have experienced that for instance with the Q, influencing the autobrakes +. Having no single keys defined except for the non alphanumeric ones is an advantage and prevents you from crashing while you are typing at your FMC keyboard. ;-)Regards,Nicohttp://www.nicokaan.nl/

Guest Mark McG

Nico,At the moment I am solely thinking of having an FMC. I have a spare Logitech USB keyboard, which I will probably use. I have done a couple of tests using my exisiting keyboard and Keys F1 thru F8 assigned as LSKs. using KA mode there is no interference with the Default FS Throttle / Flaps Key assignments.Next stage is to get myself some switches and hack my usb keyboard and see how effective the keyboard route will be.With the keyboard I am using being USB if needed I can then add a Hagstrom unit later for other switches.I am also working on drawing up a template bmp file for an FMC Face Plate. Once complete I will send you a copy.

Mark,>I am also working on drawing up a template bmp file >for an FMC Face Plate. Once complete I will send you a copy.That would be nice indeed, that's the difficult part for me. Thanx.Wish you success with the hacking of your keyboard. You'll enjoy the moment when you see the first characters appearing on your TV screen.Nico