Sign in to follow this  

Need Help to Set Up 2 monitors (twin view) on ATi Radeon 9700 Pro for FS

Hello All, I need some advice, tips and maybe a walk through on how I should set up my system, and maybe also what software I must use, to be able to have a twin view of the cockpit (3d & 2d). Well, let me first say exactly what my system consists of:Pentium 4 3 06GHz (with HT enabled)Asus P4G8X-D motherboardATi Radeon 9700 Pro1Gb Ram OEM160Gb Maxtor Hard-Disk2 x 19" XIOD (Samsung Tube) Flat Monitors - identicalTempretures are good, and no overclocking at all for now. As many already know (who use ATi), there is the HydraVision option to manipulate multiple monitors and displays. For the moment, I am not interested to see side views actually, but a more panoramic front view, if I am explaining myself well. So, my monitors are set exactly besides each other; for side views, left, right, etc, I am using other computers through WideFS (oh what a great masterpiece is this software!!, i bow at the author), so I am not into side views at all in this topic. The ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, got 2 output ports (actually 3, including the S-Video). The first output is the normal SVGA port, and the other is dedicated for TFT (LCD) screens, but with a bundled convertor, it can be used to hook up a second monitor. The OS I am using is Windows XP Pro (SP1). Through Windows XP display settings, you can extend your desktop working environment on both displays, with your mouse going from one monitor to the other (its freaky cool when I saw it for the first time!!) And with HydraVision enabled, you can maximize your window to fit on both monitors (perfectly aligned; with the help of Powerstrip as well). I think, that this is best for hardcore Excel/Spread Sheet users, because you do not have to scroll left & right on your sheet to see the data, coz you can see all the worksheet (that fits on 2 monitors, obviously) instantly without scrolling!! But I am a flight sim hardcore, and what interest me is how to make the virtual cockpit, and the 2d panel appear on both monitors. Well, I know that I am having a sort of a wide screen scenario here (16:9, or even higher), but on virtual cockpit this doesn't matter, coz it fits perfectly. From what I seen up to now, the 2D panel is sort of streched to fit on both screens, which gives out a very bad outcome. Besides, the scenery is not showing up at all on the second monitor. The HydraVision option cannot be implemented in this (at least to my knowledge and short experience) because the sim must be running in a window, and I hate that!!! I wish to know, how cockpit builders do it. This is 1 graphic card, pumping on 2 identical displays. I know that it is possible to have both displays, displaying different applications, because I read this on ATi's description (that was another reason why I bought it). For example, on monitor 1, you are playing Game A, and on monitor 2, you are running Application C, for example. Well, I am saying this in theory, quoting what I read, but I don't know heck how to do this. If I knew, I wouldn't be here begging for help :) So, is there anyone who can help me up please?? Lately, on Avsim, we were seeing an advert, of the Matrox Parhelia, displaying flight simulator on 3 monitors. Well, mine is an ATi Radeon 9700 Pro, and so far I have 2 monitors! Anyone know what I should do to see an extended front view please.Kind Regards,AlexMALTA

Hi Alex,How are you making out with your endeavor? I just came across your question, and have been also working on the same problem with the same ATi card and a similar system. I'd be anxious to hear if you've found any solutions so far.Thanks! Art

Hi Art, Actually all I have is bad news. It doesn't work! When using both outputs on the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro, only one of them is delivering its raw power, the other output have very minimal graphical strength. I heard that FS9 will support multiple monitors by default, but I had the great opportunity to see Beta 2 working on a computer of a friend of mine (which do Beta testing for MS), and we tried to work out this twin view feature. At least, in Beta 2, is not yet implemented. The only way I am using the second monitor is to un-dock the other windows (gps, avionics, etc) and have them placed on the second monitor. When I tried to enlarge the front view on both monitors, the picture was very choppy, and with 4fps on the 2nd monitos. I get 30fps with eveyrthing maxed out, and with the most resource hungry add-ons (like Simflyers, & VMax's 747), I still get 30fps, or maybe 25 at dense areas. But when i tried to enlarge the view (by enabling extend windows desktop on 2nd monitor, from display settings), it didnt work. I would love if someone have something, or encountered any thing that can make it work. I am ready to pay for it, coz right now I am in the process of building a cockpit. Already bought 6 systems, and I got 6 more to go. I would like to make a 180 degree view angle, but still, I cannot use the twin monitor output on the majority of the cards (got some GF3Ti &GF4Ti, plus ATi Radeon 9700 Pro, 9500, 9000) and still cannot achieve this. I remember seeing an advert here on avsim, of the matrox parhelia, bursting the view on 3 separate monitors (synched!!). I don't know, maybe I'll see all gfx cards I got and go buy 6 matrox parhelia, but then I won't get the same quality that I have on the Radeon 9700 Pro. Not to start a war here, but the GF FX was launched more then 6 months after Rad 9700 Pro, and still, the FX is no way near ATi's. On the other hand, nVidia works hard to release the best drivers, and you can choose the best driver that fits your system best, from a large list of releases. On the other hand, ATi's drivers team is lame as hell!! Good hardware, bad drivers!!Would love to hear more about this topic. Anyone who is a tad more then the normal into flight-simming :) can have such a system. If we all help one another, and share ideas and experiments, maybe someday soon we can have the pleasure, to have a various angles to see from our virtual cockpits.Have a nice day, and thanks for reading.Kind Regards,Alex MALTA

Guest Salbado

Hi guys...I just posted the same question in the Hardware forum. I have the same issues that you have...please let me know if something comes up. I want to have two LCD Projectors (VGA Monitors Really...)to show the front view and the 30 or 45 degree view outside my Airbus using the 9700.Regards.Sal

WOw, you mean LCD projector?? 1024x768 res?? I was looking for that in a mega store in dubai, and I am tempted, to admit. It is sooo expensive though, approx. $4000 USD...ya know, its kinda hard, but the worst part is, that I have no clue of its quality!! Thats the big deal. If its quality is optimum (like that on a monitor, or close), I will go for it. Stick it up my bum and do some over time work to get it. ANyhow, if you get info on these LCD, whatever, projectors, let me know. (I opened a business company to be able to support my habit (i mean hobby:)) Got a good job as well, but its not enough for keep buying the latest technology each month, ya know.Regards,Alex

Guest Salbado

No...just a used 800x600 1000 lumens...I got mine on E-Bay at about $400 a pop.