Sign in to follow this  

Rotary selector question

HIMy name is Dennis and Im in the building process of my A320 cockpit.I have spent almost all my money to buy the panels, keyboard encoder, and a brand new PC. Things add up quickly with this hobby.My questionI saw the rotary encoder on the CSI webpage but its over $200.Can I connect rotary selectors directly to a keyboard encoder?or do I need a rotary encoder as well?Is there any more info on how I would have to soder the rotary selector to the keyboard encoder?That would save alot of money.Thanks for your insights

Guest MikePowell

Dennis,Your question has been the topic of much discussion here. Please scan the last two or three months of postings here and see if it answers your question.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Thanks I searched but nothing on how to actually connect these to a hagstrom encoder.

The Knitter switches that have been the subject of much discussion recently can be connected straight to a Hagstrom, or even to a plain keyboard emulator. Depending on how many you buy, the price can be pretty low - I have bought 100 (though they haven't arrived yet) for a group of members of this list, and the price, including fees etc was a hair under $3 a swith.Richard

Guest kdarling

Hi,I searched using "rotary encoder hagstrom" and found several good threads.A big question is: do you already have the switches? Each type requires different hookup and software schemes.Do you already have the Hagstrom? If so, which kind?Kev

Thanks for the help. Nice website Mike, Its a good site for a beginner like me.Kev I dont have the rotarie's yet, I'll probably get those knitter switches. Since Im modeling a Airbus i'll aso need rotaries with exactly 8 positions for the Rose selection. Although I only need 6 positions, it would be 8 all around. And I want the selection to lign up with the marks on the panel. The FDS rotaries look good for that I think. As for the hagstrom I have a Ke72 with I0X36 boards.DT

Guest Salbado

Dennis, looks like we are all in the same boat...I am waiting for the Knitter switches from Rick to replace the FDS rotaries that came with the FDS push/pull units. It seems that FDS rotaries need encoders while the knitters will send two simple signal clockwise and counter-clockwise. I think your going down the same path as everyone else. I'll let you know how the Knitters work out.BTW, what are you planning to do for the digital displays (5) on the FCU. This is my last phase and it sure seems to be the most complex. I have a Hagstrom based unit and I will be using 3 72 key encoders on 3 sperate PC's (MCDU-Main FS-FCU). Are you doing the same?Good luck.

Guest AirPanther

Look into the QRC and 8x encoder modules sold by Blue Side Up. I understand that they can be used with a wide variety of rotary encoders. It turns the encoded signal into a simple digital output (usable by a simple keyboard emulator or Hag. card).http://www.avsim.com/bluesideupRoberthttp://www.777Project.cjb.net

How do you like the Push/pull units? My digital displays will probably be from the GO Flight MCP unit.I might take the unit apart, and then place the 7segmented displays where they need to go. And I can build my own push/pull unit with the rotarys from the MCP. I think that would be a breeze to do, and you dont need to soder anything. The led's in the supplied unit will be put into the appropiate autopilot key's from Peter Cos. Then I'll have light's for AP1,AP2,A/THR,Loc,Exped, and appr, without the need of a display module wich I will need to get later anyway.For the EFIS selection, I'll probably use 45 degree rotary's.These are perfect cause the knobs stripe will lign up with the marks on my panels. FOR NOW i'm only using a single PC w/ a Gforce4 4400, and another PCI card to display the instruments. A cheap monitor Y-cable will be used to display the PDF/ND on both sides. This means the attitude & EFIS display will be reversed on the copilots side, but eliminates the need to buy another PC for a minor detail.That should give you a idea on how ill approach the completion of my cockpit:) Dennis

Guest Salbado

Yup...that's also what I am planning to do. I asked Doyle at GoFlight if he could offer the MCP in a remote version (like my GF166 Radios) and he would look into it. With that, he might even offer the ability to map the digital displays to the PM offsets so we can hook right up to the FS output to PM FCU...let him know you are interested so we can get some grass roots going here...Regards Sal