Sign in to follow this  
Guest AirPanther

Multiple Video Cards

Guest AirPanther

I have a Sony Vaio desktop with an AGP video card (nVidia). It is relatively new (Windows XP) and I just added two more video cards. One is a GeForce4 (MX I think), and the other is a generic OpenGL accelerated card. Both are PCI and work fine individually. However, I run into two problems when I install them together for multi-monitor.Firstly, the second monitor displays graphics very choppy. When I undock a window from MSFS and drag it to the secondary monitor (The GeForce4), the frame rate drops from almost 30 FPS to around 4 FPS.Also, I can only get two of the cards to work simultaneously. When I add the third card, the computer recognizes it, but will not use it or add it to the monitor pull-down list.Any thoughts,Roberthttp://www.777Project.cjb.net

Guest Stephan Haas

Robert,>Firstly, the second monitor displays graphics very choppy.>When I undock a window from MSFS and drag it to the secondary>monitor (The GeForce4), the frame rate drops from almost 30>FPS to around 4 FPS.Since you're using WinXP I take it you have made one of the PCI-cards the primary video card in your BIOS setup. It is something WinXP wants. What might help is making the monitor that is connected to your AGP card the primary monitor in your display setup screen. (right click on the present monitor in the settings screen and tick/untick). Make sure the FS2K2 outside view is on your primary card and only undock panel windows to th second/third monitor.Can't give you any garantees, but it might help.>Also, I can only get two of the cards to work simultaneously. When >I add the third card, the computer recognizes it, but will not use >it or add it to the monitor pull-down list.Is there any IRQ conflict betyween the two cards? What does the system screen say?Kind regards,Stephan Haashttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...or=SVA1&a=a.jpg

Robert,Are the cards you have in PCI slots suitable for Win XP ?I had the same problem and Microsoft support told me that if the cards are not compatible to Win XP I could not use them with multiple monitors.So, you have to go to Microsoft site and check if the cards are compatible with Win XP.RgdsAlberto Kunzel

Guest AirPanther

My AGP is currently setup as my primary display card, but the problem still persists. I have tested the "dual" monitor with both cards independantly in conjunction with the AGP card and they work fine "generally". But once I undock a flight sim window and drag it over to the secondary display, my frame rate on both screens drops tremendously.I made sure that neither of the windows populated both screens at the same time. And then I tried to stretch one window across both displays. Both methods yeilded similar results.Any thoughts?Robert

Robert,Really is very strange this situation , my understanding is that there is any incompatibility among Win XP and video cards.I have multiple monitors ( three(3)) using Win Me ( 512 RAM ) and get 25~30 fps in very heavy scenery and full screen. My PC is a P3 ,1 GHZ w/ 512 MB RAM, AGP card ATI RADEON 7200 ( already old )and PCI cards SIS 6326 ( also old ), as you have a better PC than mine something is wrong with cards.Have you already tried other model of PCI cards ?Good luck.Regards.Alberto Kunzel

Guest kdarling

>But once I undock a flight sim>window and drag it over to the secondary display, my frame>rate on both screens drops tremendously.Others have mentioned this, but let's make sure: You know that doing this with outside views won't work for current FS versions?The only windows you can undock/move and not have things slow down on another monitor are 2D instrument panels and the like.To have multiple outside views, people use WideView and multiple computers.Just checking,Kevin

Guest PeterK

PeterK I dont know if this helps or makes it worse...Im running a celleron 300a 200megs of ram on windows 98SEMy primary card is a Apollo Banshee 16meg AGP...My 2 PCI video cards are 1998 vintage Mach 64 2 meg cards... The frame rate does not drop at all when the 3d card is the main viewand the panels and radio stack is dragged into the other monitors..GPS though really makes it run 5 FPS lower than.. the 20-25 This is all in fs2002...Have never used all these other air bus panels and software though..Sounds like Xp has some issues with the adding of video cards andthere vintage...This also can be a open GL issue too...Pete http://home.attbi.com/~fs-boneyard