Sign in to follow this  
npbosch

Which hagstrom encoder to choose

Hi guysJust ordered my FMC at flightdecksolutions.Had it ion my hands at the cockpitbuildersmeeting last weekend in amsterdam and it is great.I have to connect it to a hagstrom encoder. I use project magenta with it on a client pc in my LAN.For several keys I need shift-F1 etc. If I did not use these I could do with simpel keyboardhacking.I think I could do with a hagstrom ke18. It has a 9 x 9 matrix. So it can accept 81 switches, that should ne enough.Is the KE 18 OK? Why uses everybody the much more expensive KE72?On the FDS site they use a KE 24 (12 x 12 matrix).ANy of you experiance with the KE 18?Thanks for infonorbert boschhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch

Hi NorbertWhy not go for the LPT switch solution. www.fokker50.be.tf I'm just going to start builing mine tonight, so obviously I cannot say if it is superb, but from what I have read it does the job and for

Guest DavidJ

I have looked into the matter of the LPT port last week. I am very positive towards the idea however I have read a couple of theads in wich there seems to be a problem with the lpt port.The main drawback and reason why we can not use the 40 switch printer port is that we have more keys on the CDU.David

DavidWe could use a combination of the printer port switch ( for the combo's like shift-F1) and keyboard hacking for the alfanumeric display.But the KE 18 is also not very expensive and perhaps from a electronic viewpoint much simpler than the combination of keyboardhacking and printer port switch.So I am still interested in users of the KE 18 or KE 24Norbert Bosch

I have a KE72 and love it. It is the heart of my Seneca cockpit. What ever you get be sure and go a step larger than you think you need. You will expand and need the inputs eventually. I started only wanting 38 inputs, I am up to 65 now and have plans for the other 7 and may need another one before it is over. Have fun with which ever one you choose, it is a great addition.Ken Peckham CEOB&B Sim Technologies"We put you in the left seat"SimBuilder2@aol.com

KenThe KE 18 kan have 81 inputs (9 x 9).So that is even 9 more inputs than you have with the KE72.I will only need it on a client pc to interface my hardware FMC to the project magenta FMC software.I still do not know what the KE 72 has extra. is it functionality or has it to do with how you can program it?Norbert

Guest mbessler

If you really need more keys/switches and are prepared to build it yourself, I designed a cheap (10-15EUR without switches) keymatrix based on the PIC16F628. It hooks up to the serial port (there you need to write a program to talk to it) and you can build a 64 input version, a 512 input version, or anything in between.here is a circuit diagram: http://cockpit.varxec.de/electronic/keymatrix.htmlI have the 64 input version right in front of me on a breadboard. It works fine :-)

Norbert,KE18 has a matrix, KE72 not, all inputs are individual , so no ghosting can occur.KE72 is easier for wiring and you can program up to 32 keystrokes per terminal, the KE18 can up to 16 (but that's not very important for our applications).I have two KE72's and I'm quite happy with it.Groeten,Nicohttp://www.nicokaan.nl/

Guest DavidJ

Hai Nico,I have seen the info on your site and have seen the pictures with the KE 72. Am I correct in believeing that you have connected the KE 72 to the host computer by a keyboard wire, and is there a keyboard connected to the KE 72? If this will work I can use the KE 72 in combination with a notebook (in wich I cannot insert a PCI card ofcourse)I have read the info on the website and if I am correct this could be done, I am just checking before ordering and being sorry.And how about the ke 24 any expierence?BTW looks like a superb project!David

Hi David,Yes you're right, the KE72 is connected to the PS2 KB connector of the PC and my PS2 Keyboard is connected to the KE72. So there are two Keyboard devices in series. (Actually there are three since I have now two KE72's in series and the normal Keyboard).The KE72 card is a PCI style card, but it has no electrical/logical relationship with the PCI bus, it's just a possibility to put it in a place. I am not using that possibility, I have put the KE72's in my "FMC/Pedestal box".Sorry, no experience with the KE24.Regards,Nicohttp://www.nicokaan.nl/