Sign in to follow this  
G MIDY

Cables needed for cockpit

Hi i am having problems setting up the network between my computer and laptop. My PC is directly connected to a Cable modem, i want to connect to my laptop and be able to share files would i replace the ethernet ports cable to the cable modem with a ethernet cable to the laptops ethernet port ? Or would i need some sort of hub to connect them together i do not necessarily want to connect to the internet with both. Is there anyway to connect both computers together with one cable or would i need USB/ other ?Thanks very much appreciatedG-MIDYhttp://www.airliners.net/open.file/265713/L/

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

Guest MikePowell

There are a lot of options. If you're using 10baseT (not coax) from your computer to the cable modem, you will need a special crossover cable to connect computer to computer. If you're using coax, you can directly connect but need terminating resistors at both ends. Either option requires disconnecting from the cable modem.If you want Internet to one PC and not to the other, add a second network adapter to the PC with Internet and establish a second, isolated connection between the laptop and desktop.Alternatively buy a router like a Linksys BEFSR41. You can allow both computers to access the Internet, or lock one out. Allows file sharing while also providing a bit more security as a hardware firewall.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Is it not possible to connect my PC to my laptop directly just for Project magenta connection nothing else i'm not into messing about with cables and modems.Kind regardsG-MIDY---------------No, it is not not possible to directly connect your laptop and PC.As MikePowell mentioned, get a crossover UTP cable and plug it into your laptop's and PC's network adaptor. (I presume both have 10BaseT ethernet)Shouldn't cost you more than $10.This will require you to manually switch cables every time you want to fly or go online.If you want to keep both a connection to your laptop and the internet then you'll have to invest in additional hardware.As long as you are happy with either a PC-Modem or a PC-Laptop connection at a time then buying a crossover cable will do.

Guest PeterK

PeterK Try the $10 hub between the surfboard and the pc and run the 2ndpc off the hub...IF your on at&T..comcast..cox..time warner,,they most likely giveyou multiple ip adresses on your acount...Basically you can run multiple computers on the net or between each other with no issue..hey if it doesnt work keep the recipt go back to the store and getthe $10 back...The flip cables can get pretty messy...if your talking to a lap topto a pc for a connection it will work but you will have tounplug to get on the net again...I use flip cables on the jobbut lately the company has just put hubs on everything soyou can just plug in with out all the rebooting and configissues..Pete http://home.attbi.com/~fs-boneyard

I see your fron the UK so i would assume the surfboard modem is the same as my NTL one? If its the old version with a ethernet port you need two network cards in a server PC. connect one to the cable modem and the other to your laptop via a crossocer cable on both. What OS are you runnning? i can explain the software part. NTL dont givemultiple IP's so the hub route wont work.Gaz

I looked around and saw specs on this Motorola Surfboard SB4200 modem and it stated that it has a USB interface to the computer.If this is true for your modem then you could plug the modem in a USB slot and put a crosslink cable between your PC and laptop.

Guest AirPanther

From my experience, you NEED a hub to make an ethernet connection work. I have tried many times to connect an ethernet cable directly from computer to computer and nothing happened. But the moment I added a HUB, all was perfect instantly! XP seems to be a bit more difficult to setup for networks though. Maybe it is just me, but Win98 was SOOO easy to network. Give it a shot though.HUBs are relatively inexpensive. To run PM, a 10BaseT HUB should be fine. You may want to buy a 100BaseT in case you decide to add more PCs or run wideview though.Roberthttp://www.777Project.cjb.net

I guess you have been using straight cables, a crossover cable will get you a direct connection between two computers.You'll need a hub or switch for more machines though.You could check how your network adapter is set up.Open control panel and the network and dialup connections.Then look what protocols you have installed for your NIC.You should have TCP/IP.When you have TCP/IP give your PC and laptop an IP adress 192.168.0.x, x being different for both machines.

>From my experience, you NEED a hub to make an ethernet>connection work. I have tried many times to connect an>ethernet cable directly from computer to computer and nothing>happened. But the moment I added a HUB, all was perfect>instantly!If you connected without a hub and it didn't work, but when you added a hub it did, then you were almost certainly using a regular "patch" cable to connect the two together. To directly connect two machines you need either a crossover cable, or a crossover adapter. (just a little plug with an RJ45 Male on one end and an RJ45 female on the other, that crosses over the wires inside)However.... Hubs or switches are so inexpensive that I'd advise buying a 5-port hub and then if you ever want to, for example, plug in another computer you can just do so. It also avoids the problems of swapping wires between the cable modem and the laptop.Richard