Sign in to follow this  

Ethernet Home Network

I'm a little far from building a complete home Cockpit. But i have my main computer, which is a PIV 1.7 Ghz with 512 Ram and Windows XP, and my old computer which is a PII 400 Mhz and 64 Megs of Ram and running windows 98SE. IS it possible to connect these two computer on a ethernet network, so i can run my FS in the main computer and all the other weather add-ons etc in the old computer? I mean, the main concern i have is that i have WinXP on one and Win98SE in the other, is that a major problem? I don't want to bother you that much, so if you know of any web-site that has guides on how to build a ethernet home network, i'd be glad to know about them.Thanks in advanceHenrique

Guest MikePowell

Hello Henrique,Your machines can be networked. I have a WinXP, Win98SE and a Win95B(sad, but true) all networked. XP and 98 are pretty easy to set up. Win95 is not so helpful and must be manually configured, but it will definitely work. I got basic set up info from the Microsoft site some time ago. Go there and search on "home network" and see what turns up. You will probably need a hub of some sort. You can get a cheap 4 port hub for $10~15. Alternatively, if you have a cable or DSL modem you can install a small router like the Linksys BEFSR41 between your modem and computers. It will support your local network as well as allow both computers access to the Internet. I think the Linksys site has the BEFSR41 manual online, which can give you the details.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

HiThanks for the help! I just bought an 8 ports 10 base T hub. I have ethernet 10/100 cards installed on each computer and a DS connection which is hooked to the computer via the ethernet card. You say

Guest MikePowell

Hi,If you buy the router, you do not need a separate hub.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest PeterK

PeterKIm running at&t comcast broadband and how the ip adresses are setup you dont even need the router...Im running a netcom 10/100base hub right off the motorola surfboard....the providergives you multiple ip adresses....im running 4 computers rightnow in the house with no issues...dont buy a $10 10 base hub..go the extra $10 and get 10/100basefor $20...10 base will be a bit slow when pushing the bandwidth...check with your cable internet provider on the ip setup...petehttp://home.attbi.com/~fs-boneyard

Guest MikePowell

Agreed, Pete. A hub and extra IP addresses makes for an inexpensive LAN. The router give me a bit more control over what happens on each port as well as a little more protection as a NAT box.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Guest PeterK

PeterK Yes i agree mike...I was going to go with the router at homebut in the long run the family is just doing internet thingsand im only running fs2002 on one computer...no buisness's orbasically anything that needed protection... I mentioned that you dont need the router to make it easierjust to get the whole thing running...Im not shure that allbroadband companies provide the mutiple ip addresses thoughI was told that Charter Cable does not do this...you need therouter...A year ago At&T Broadband you needed a router for more than 1 PC then they revamped the system and now its not required...and Basically comcast took over the operation..pete