Sign in to follow this  

Wright flyer cockPIT

Greetings everyone!I'm a sim pilot and a real-world pilot who would like to build a "cockpit"/interface of the 1903 Wright Flyer to be used at an aviation exhibition together with the upcoming FS2004 Century Of Flight in celebration of the 100 years of the first flight.The US Experimental Aircraft Association has done it. Here in Europe we would like to have our own too and impress everyone with the amazing achievment of those two Wright brothers.Is anyone here that has taken on this project? Does anyone have any info that could be of help? I have no cockpit building experience (yet), although this is more like a very complicated interface/joystick project rather than a cockpit one.Thank you very much for any info!Rui Laureano

Guest MikePowell

RuiI am not aware of anyone who has posted here or on any other flight sim forum mentioning building a Wright Flyer physical simulation.The good news is that every time I post a definitive statement like this, someone always pops up to contradict me, so you should have a positive rely shortly.While you're waiting, however, there is some background material that may be of interest to you. Roland vanRoy has written an informative article titled "DIY Cockpit". It is posted here in the AVSIM library. Do a search on his name. Kevin Saker has written an extensive series called "Building Kev's Cockpit". It is posted in the "how-to" section over at Flightsim.com. My own web site have a generic introduction to simpit building that may also be of interest. Another source is possibly the US EAA. Perhaps they would at least give you an overview of the approach they took.Mike www.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Guest PeterK

PeterK Funny you mention this..Over the weekend on the NASA Channelthere was a segment on the Wright Brother Flyer Simulatorbut it was the Glider no the powered plane,,,The Hostest layeddown in the simulator and shot an approach to a runway..The Sim used looked like X plane not fs 200#...It was a show called NASA Connects...The elevators was a wood control stick and the ailerons orbasically the wing twisting was by moving side to side in the cradle..I have the NASA Channel on my Sat dish but it also can be watcheda The NASA WEb site http://www.NASA.gov NASA TV PagePete http://home.attbi.com/~fs-boneyard