Sign in to follow this  

GA Aircraft Cockpit

Hi everyone. I'm looking to build a GA cockpit, and I'd like to do an avionics stack that is pretty close to the Bendix/King setup they have in FS2002. I have a bit of electronics learning, but nothing really practical aside from testing and soldering and stuff. I saw a really nice looking setup at FSBUS, and I understand that is what everyone seems to use now, but I am totally at a loss for where to start designing my stack. I have no schematics or parts lists or anything to work off of. Is anyone else having the same problem? Or had the same problem and came up with a solution? I'd appreciate some input if you can help me please.-Jon

Guest MikePowell

Hi Jon,FSBUS is one of several approaches you might take. There should be schematics for FSBUS on Dirk's site, www.fsbus.de You can make printed circuit boards yourself, pay to have boards made through the prototype service of a professional board house, post your interest here and get enough people together to have a lot of boards made to lower the cost (at least one such effort is currently in process), or just skip the pc boards and wire it on perf board.Another approach is to use a key board encoder for your switch inputs and a parallel port interface to drive some seven-segment displays. There was a thread here several months ago describing the hardware and software for the interface. Key board encoders are available from commercial firms like Hagstrom. As an alternative to an encoder, you can hack a keyboard.There is of course the do it yourself approach using PIC micro controllers. This has something of the flavor of re-inventing FSBUS, but if you're only interested in a radio stack, you can make it more simple. It also has the tremendous advantage that you will learn a great deal about micro controllers. This advantage will serve you well as you continue to pursue this hobby. Micro controllers are cheap, extremely versatile "electronic glue" that you can use to create and paste together flight sim systems.My standard advice to people starting the hobby is to do a lot of reading. Roland vanRoy's DIY Cockpit here in the avsim library is a must read, as is Kevin Saker's "How to Build Kev's Cockpit" in the how to section of flightsim.com. My modest contribution is my web site with perhaps the best part being the list of links to simpit sites. Many people have created unique solutions and browsing their sites can give you insites into your own project.Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Hi there and welcome Jon. You might want to take a look at Leo Lacava's site at http://www.vif.com/users/leolacava/ I have one of his 64 button USB interfaces, which, in conjunction with his KBStudio application, is working just fine - and a LOT cheaper than FSBUS or a Hagstrom. I'm building a Cessna cocpit. Regular switches and pushbuttons are coming along, and I've got an order of Knitter Switches coming from Germany for the tuning knobs etc As an aside to those who're in on the shared order - there was a problem with the wire transfer and the money came back to me. I've resubmitted it - without the typo in Knitters account # :-(Richard