Sign in to follow this  

Connecting FSBus cards?

Hi everyone,I was just looking at the pictures on http://mikkila.wabbits.org/fsbus/doc/photos_e.php and can't figure out how you could connect more than 4 key cards or 7 segment cards etc to the Com card. The com card has 5 10-pin plugs on it and one of those goes to the serial port, so that leaves 4 plugs. Then on the key cards or 7 segment boards they also have only one plug. I thought that you could daisy chain the boards together to reach the 32 card limit, so I must be missing something.Anyone care to enlighten? :)One other question...I'm compiling all the things I will need for the Com card on the mouser.com site and can't figure out what a 100n resistor is (From http://mikkila.wabbits.org/fsbus/doc/parts_e.php)Can anyone explain?I know I know, "If you have to ask, then you shouldn't be building it"Thanks for all your help,Spencer

Guest jpcxcf

>Hi everyone,>I was just looking at the pictures on>http://mikkila.wabbits.org/fsbus/doc/photos_e.php and can't>figure out how you could connect more than 4 key cards or 7>segment cards etc to the Com card. The com card has 5 10-pin>plugs on it and one of those goes to the serial port, so that>leaves 4 plugs. Then on the key cards or 7 segment boards they>also have only one plug. I thought that you could daisy chain>the boards together to reach the 32 card limit, so I must be>missing something.>Anyone care to enlighten? :)Think like your connecting harddisks one end has a connector and you can connect more devices with more connectors attached to the ribbon cable.Regards,Pedro

Guest MikePowell

**I know I know, "If you have to ask, then you shouldn't be building it**Not at all! One of the great pleasures of this hobby is learning new things.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest Glenn Weston

G'day Spencer, I think you are referring to C7 on the list, this is a Capacitor 100nF or 100 Nano Farad.As stated just make ribbon cable with multiple connectors along it, you can then just plug more controllers along the cable, the 4 connectors on the comm board are for convenience more than anything, instead of having 1 really long cable with 32 connectors which would have to snake all around the joint you can have 4 shorter ones with less connectors on each cable, for example one with 6 connectors, another with maybe 10, another with 5 & the last one with say 11 which will allow connection of 32 total controllers.Cheers Glenn.

Thanks everyone, it all makes sense now... Now I have to find one of those Capacitors, I think I ordered the wrong one. Oh well... :)Thanks again for making it all clear,Spencer

Guest raflyer

The caps are .001 PF here in the states, You won't find any reference to "nano" in american parts houses. DOn't know why other than i went thru the same thing when I built mine.Rob

Guest LeoL

Spencer, you'll probably have better luck looking for a 0.1 uF "micro Farad" cap instead of 100 nF "nano" or 100 000 pF "pico" equivalent.Rob, I think you got the conversion wrong. I often do myself. I hope I got it right or I have a bunch of circuits with the wrong caps on them. :-eekConversion table to keep in mind.1 pF = 1 X 10-12 F1 nF = 1 X 10-9 F1 uF = 1 X 10-6 Fand so 1 nF = 1000 pF and as such 100 nF will be 100000 pF and not 0.001 pF. Time to get that soldering iron out Rob and replace those caps. ;-)http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/g_knott/elect5.htm-Leo

Guest raflyer

Sorry about that, .01pF , I had orginally installed 103caps but it wouldn't work. Rob