Sign in to follow this  
Guest AirPanther

No more KE-72 for CDU

Guest AirPanther

Hey guys, I have noticed a lot of sim builders using Hagstrom units just to handle the 12 function keys on the CDU. I spoke with Enrico Schiratti to see if he could make the buttons programmable, and he had a new build within the week! This new build makes use of ASCII codes, meaning you can map virtually ANY key on the keyboard to control the functions on the CDU. This means you can map keys like "Home", "End" and even the Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys. If you have extra function buttons on your keyboard, you can map those too. Just make sure they don't control anything on your system (like hybernate). To program keys do the following: 1. Start the CDU 2. Click "INIT REF" 3. Click "Maint" 4. Click "DEF LSK" 5. Press any key on the keyboard 6. Click the LSK corresponding to the function key you want to reprogram. That's it! You will need the latest Project Magenta CDU build for this functionality. This addition should save you about $100 on your CDU. That's more than enough to cover the cost of the software .Roberthttp://www.777Project.cjb.net

Very good news.I hope to get my FDS cdu in a few days and was about to order the hagstrom KE72 for it. Now I can stay with keyboardhacking and buy a LCD display from the saved money.On the PM site the cdu337 is the latest build. As far s I read in the changes.txt this new option is not yet implemented in this build.Thanks fot this good news and of course thanks to EnricoNorbert Bosch

Guest AirPanther

Build 337 has the update, it's just not listed in the changes. It should be there once you download it though.

Hi guys,Actually, with PIC 767 you already don't need a single button, every key of the FMC/CDU can be controlled via the keyboard...However, that is exactly not what this simbuilder wants (!), because it's very user unfriendly (and unreal). That's why I have build the FMC key board my self and it's not just about the 15 function keys but also about 12 LSK keys and the alphanumeric keys, so you need 69 keys in total. The KE72 has 72 inputs, so an almost perfect match....Of course if you do not want to spend the money you can go for the keyboard option, but if you want a bit of the feeling of a real CDU... KE72.Happy FlyingNicowww.nicokaan.nl

That's good news... Unfortunately, I haven't got CDU program from PM as of yet, but real soon after I am done with rudder pedals. Question: would I need to have a seperate controller board in order to avoid hibernate condition ? A little off issue here, In order for me to preparing everything before I can start working on B767 center pedestal, a check mark that I have already done ordering FDS' B777 center pedestal kits and there are few more check marks I'd need to complete and they are Hagstrom KE-72, at least 5" LCD display, PM CDU program, Intercom Telephone (if that is what it called at the aft of center pedestal), Knobs and that's it. Now, If I could order Hagstrom KE-72 for CDU where could I find it? I remember it'd cost about U.S. $15, am I correct? Also, where can I find such a cheap price of LCD display or any small monitor that is at least about 5"? (I'd limit the amount of display at least $100). Let me know..

Guest AirPanther

Nico, I don't quite understand your argument:>> Of course if you do not want to spend the money you can go for the keyboard option, but if you want a bit of the feeling of a real CDU... KE72.The interface underneath will have no effect on the realism of the CDU. Whether you use KE-72, EPIC, FSBus, or plain keyboard hacking, you can't tell the difference on the surface.Plus the KE-72 only has 72 inputs, but a plain keyboard has more than 100 inputs. That's way more than enough. By scanning ASCII codes (which is what Enrico's new build does) instead of scanning actual letters, each and every switch on the keyboard produces a different output.Oh, and now you can get keyboards with built in USB HUBs CHEAP. So I can plug any external peripherals up to my CDU. That includes an external keyboard if I need it for "fast" typing.Keyboards with USB Hubs (most start at $1)http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearc...10&BasicSearch=Roberthttp://www.777Project.cjb.net

Guest AirPanther

{Question} would I need to have a seperate controller board in order to avoid hibernate condition ?{Reply} No. As long as you keep your soldering clean and don't accidentally bridge the "hibernation" wires you'll be fine.{Question} Now, If I could order Hagstrom KE-72 for CDU where could I find it?{Reply} You don't need it. A Hagstrom card just produces macros and allows toggle switches to be used. You don't need either for the PM CDU. Just tear apart a cheap USB keyboard and use that.{Question} Now, If I could order Hagstrom KE-72 for CDU where could I find it? I remember it'd cost about U.S. $15, am I correct?{Reply} http://www.HagstromElectronics.com to order. The KE-72 is currently listed at $119.95. If you can find em for $15, PLEASE let me know.. lol!Robert

Robert,Sorry for the confusion but I was referring to the PIC767, not to the PM software.You're right about the interfaces if you tear a keyboard apart and use the keyboard chip only, I know. Although I must say that the programmability of the KE72 makes live a lot easier. I got the impression that you meant that you were to use a keyboard with a CDU, in stead of real buttons (and an interface)After I looked at your impressive web site I know better.Regards,Nicowww.nicokaan.nl

Guest AirPanther

Nico, Ahhh... I got ya.. lol! Just a little self-inflicted confusion :-lol.>> Although I must say that the programmability of the KE72 makes live a lot easier. --That I believe... I've just always been the "cheap" sim builder. I am trying to completely steer clear of EPIC, FSBus, and any other programmable interface. My friend found a programmable PIC chip that costs like $3. If that works out... whew!!!!!!!!!RobertP.S. - Thanks for the kind words about my web site! You have a lot of interesting information on your site as well. Great job on your CDU!

So did you basically mean to desolder all of those microswitches on the keyboard's circuit board, then wiring up the microswitches from cdu to the circuit board such as letter "C" from cdu to Letter C on keyboard's circuit board? If that is true, you re absoultely correct! That sure would save our money. That would also give me enough money to buy two of 5" LCD/CRT displays. Rob, regarding to $15 dollar worth of KE-72. I apologize, I made mistake, I must have misread or misunderstood this one. One of KE-72's chips are $15 each, but to have full circuit, it cost $119.95 like you metioned. Sorry to disappoint you!

Guest Mark McG

Nico,I have every Function of the PIC CDU working off Single Key Press on the keyboard - including the Line Select Keys.Mark

Mark,Yes I know it's possible, I am only wondering are you using the keyboard for data entry, or just the keyboard chip?By the way, I have rearranged all the PIC FMC custom key definitions to be a two key sequence, because I (and others) have noticed that when the FMC keyboard is in data entry mode (KA mode) some keys will also -erroneously- be given to the FS2002/PIC software. The X for instance, when typed in KA mode, also triggered the Lower Eicas Mode....So be aware of that..Nicowww.nicokaan.nl

Guest PoRrEkE

Why not try LPTswitch for those things ???Hagstrom is waaaaaaay more expencive and this LPTswitch thing allows you to make a custom keypad with switches underneath and connect all this to the printer (COM or LPT) port.Count +/- 10 Euro for the hardwareCount +/- 00 Euro for the software (freeware)Then count yourself for the switches you need.Good plan ??

Guest AirPanther

The LPTSwitch seems like a good idea. But he was saying he's NOT going to use a Hagstrom encoder. I would use the LPT switch for something with macro inputs. The PM CDU Build 337, no longer requires complex keystrokes. It is really convenient to just hack a keyboard and use that since it is instantly compatible with any computer you decide to use it with.Roberthttp://www.777Project.cjb.net