Sign in to follow this  

Linking Two Yokes Mechanically ?

Hi All..I've searched the archives to see if anyone has figured this out yet, but didn't come up with any ral solutions. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to mechanically link 2 yokes together ? I will be using two CH yokes...captain has pots in and the co-pilot is purely dummy version with no pots in.What I want is for the co-pilot to be able to push/pull/turn and have that push/pull/turn the captains which has the pots. I am scratching my head trying to figure this out !!Any suggestions would be helpful ? Thanks a bunch...JB

Guest MikePowell

Hi JB,A year or so ago I ran across a manufacturer's site that had a picture of the insides of a linked, dual yoke set up. This was a G/A set up with the yokes mounted on tubes coming out of the instrument panel, rather than pedestal mounted yokes. Here's what I recall.The roll control was linked with pulleys at the back ends of the yoke tubes. I think it used multi-strand wire cable on pulleys on the order of 5 inches in diameter. Presumably the cable was clamped to the pulleys to prevent slipping.The back end of each yoke tube was supported by and locked into a bushing in a movable aluminum plate. The plate was perhaps 6 inches high and 30 inches wide. Pushing or pulling either of the yokes moves the plate backward or forward, and transmitted this movement to the other yoke. The support plate was in turn supported by linear bearings riding on parallel shafts, one to the right of the plate, one to the left. To keep the plate from binding, there was an arrangement of cables similar to that used on old style drafting tables with parallel rules. (Pre-computer drafting with pencils and triangles...) The cable is connected to the left side of the plate, runs forward to a pulley, runs diagonally backward and to the right to another pulley, then runs forward, is connected to the right end of the plate, continues forward to a pulley, runs diagonally left and backward to a pulley, then forward to the left end of the plate where it started. (Path is a distorted figure eight.) The cable arrangement assures that if one side moves, the other side moves the same amount as well.This really begs for a drawing, but I'm not at a place I can put one together just now. Hopefully, you can get something out of the description. If not, let me know and I try to get a sketch together in a day or so.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

A drawing:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/22275.gifThis uses a cable/pulley setup.You can prevent slippage by fixing the cable to the axes.If you make the cable go fully around the rollaxis' pulleys then you can fully rotate the control.The yaw and pitch axes should have enough cable.To prevent slack in the cables you could put two "screwtighteners" in the loop.Put one tightener in each half of the loop.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/22277.gifWith these you control the tightness of the cable and make sure the controls are synchronised.I don't know if two CH yokes can be used for this.

Thanks Mike...much appreciated. I tried reading the part about the yokes in the plate over and over and still don't get it...yes...if you have time I'd really appreciate a sketch...many thanks...JB

Guest MikePowell

JB,I'm not sure my drawing is any better than my writing, but perhaps between the two of them...Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Hi JB, I have two CH FlightSimYokes. I removed the T/P/M pots from each yoke and made a dual Throttle quadrant with Dual T/P/M.... I have been doing some temp.hand drawings on mech. links for both yokes. I think I have something that will work but have NOT built a unit as of yet...If you would like to see what I have and think will work, I can scan drawings and post here or e-mail to you.. My design will use material from Radio Control model plane Hobby Store. My e-mail ( berryhill1@prodigy.net )

Hi Fox: ...Mmmm... your setup looks a bit like a DC-3?...even to the color of the knobs. Am planning a DC-3 cockpit... I would be very interested to see how this project pans out. I'm afraid I am a bit "mechanically challenged" and have been looking like mad all over the place for ideas on how I can do this. Must make sure I don't waste much money or the better half will have me "augering in". Please keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Well, As close as I can get to the DC-3 using an old bedroom dresser...

I guess one could do this like in a real cessna. No need for pulley ropes when you have a "tilting" thing behind the panel that is pivoted on the floor, and moves back and forth with the yokes.

Side:			:			:   #--------:--)	|	   : <- | ->	:	|	   :	|	   :----o----------------------Top:			:			:   #-----------@   .		:   .		:   .		:   .		:   #-----------@			:			:

The illustration is a bit bad, sorry. # is a bike gear etc that moves the movement from one yoke's aileron axis to the other via bike chain or maybe some metal cable pulley. The elevator movement is done by the whole "base" tilting back and forth. It can be a big U-shaped metal tubing or such that one links the yokes on both top ends of the U, that needs a flexible joint because the base does not move linearry thanks to the pivot point on the bottom.Hard to explain, but real GA planes often have this kind of thing. I should maybe try to make a better illustration.. :-)Tuomas