Sign in to follow this  

CDU screen

Hi everyone,I've bought a 5.4" LCD screen from Thrustmaster wich was a Game Cube accessory but wich has also an AV input. So thanks to my old Geforce 1 wich has a TV output I was able to feed this screen with Project Magenta Boeing CDU. The qality of the image is good. On the images you can see some bubbles on the screen : this is due to the plastic sheet that covers it and that I didn't remove in order to protect it.The quality of the image could be much better with a VGA TFT screen but considering its price ( 300 Euros at least ) I am satisfied at that time with my solution ( only 60 Euros ).

Guest MikePowell

The topic of using small TV format monitors surfaces from time to time. The usual questions are, "will it work?", and "how good will it look?". It's rare that someone actually posts images of the results of trying it.Your post is a valuable service to the community. Thank you.These small LCD monitors come is various resolutions. Do you know the physical display capability of the unit you bought?A unit that appears similar is available from All Electronics www.allelectronics.com item number AVM-1, for $80US.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

MikeWith this type of display and the one on your link how hard is it to dissasemble the whole thing so that only the screen and the A/V input is left so it can be used in a cdu? Ive done it with a small B&W 5" tv which worked great but I have no experience with this type of display.ThanksGary

Guest MikePowell

Gary,I haven't yet pulled one apart, so I can't give you any first hand feedback. I'm still in CRT stone age. Just couldn't pass up a 5" BW TV with video-in for $25.My expectation, however, is that it should not be too terribly difficult. Open frame LCD monitors typically have the LCD panel mounted in a metal frame with its driver electronics on a board behind it. Jameco has a picture of a 4" monitor on its website. (www.jameco.com search on Jameco part #172742.) All the open frame LCD monitors I have seen have been similar. No guarantees that the game console manufacturers will use this style, but I think it likely.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

Thanks MikeIve found those tft screens to be too price prohibitive which is why I bought the cheap 5" tv's. Although I must say, to get one of these and have a colour cdu for under $100 does sound tempting :)CheersGaz

Guest Ramsberg

Hmm, anyone give a hint where to get cheap 5" tv's with video input capability. The ones i found only has antenna input. You could get a RF-modulator to convert a video signal to the antenna input, but thas as expensive as buying a colour tft LCD.... How did you do it?/ Olle Ramsberg

Guest MikePowell

Olle,The cheap, BW televisions I have seen have been in US stores like Walmart and Target. Prices have been as low as $17US, but more frequently are about $25US. About the closest I could find mail order is an inexpensive home security system that costs $70US. http://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=14077-st It comes with two cheap cameras.It is very important to use a display with an A/V input. Going through the antenna with a video modulator limits the video bandwidth. These are NTSC video format units. I can't recall if Sweden uses NTSC, or PAL which uses a different scan rate. Actually, I don't know if that makes a difference. The scan rate may be widely adjustable on the television, or the video cards with video out marketed to you may have the appropriate format. It probably is something to look into, however. If you find out, please let me know.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

Guest Stephan Haas

Olle,Some months ago I bought a Marquant 5" tv with AV input which now lives happily in my homemade FMC. Cost: 35 Euro. Don't know if this TV is also selling in Sweden.Pictures at:http://members.chello.nl/s.h.m.a.haas/Cockpit/fmc.html(the text looks blurred, but that's because of the bad quality of the picture. Life in my cockpit looks very good).Also pictures on:http://home.planet.nl/~nwkaan/ (see under "projects". Nico has used the same TV as I.Kind regards,Stephan Haas

Guest moreau

Olle,Give word if You find something. I