Sign in to follow this  
Guest pookie

New keystroke assignments?

Guest pookie

Help. I've hacked an old keyboard to use as my input device (push button -> keyboard emulator -> plugged into back of PC). It works great. Now I'm working on installing all the buttons and asigning them a keystroke ... BUT I learned that MSFS2k2 is somewhat limited in its available settings.I'm wondering if there's a way to add additional keystroke commands, such as one for turning on the TAXI light (in a Cessna 172), or one for turning on the NAV lights separate from any other light?In the Cessna172, for example, there's a switch on the main panel view that allows you to toggle on/off the taxi light, but this command doesn't exist in the main menu of control settings?So ... I'm looking for two things:1) How do I find out what keyboard stroke (or action) is being done when one clicks on something in a cockpit (like the taxi lights in a C172)?2) Is there any way to add additional commands, so that I can assign them to certain keystrokes.Thanks for your help.

Hi.You can assign a LOT more stuff with FSUIPC.dllIf you dont have it already, you can get it from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlWhen you have it installed, go to FS2002 menubar -> Modules -> FSUIPC..You get a dialog to set a lot of things, one of the tabs is "Keys", there you can set pretty much anything to any keystroke. Click "set" (I think that was what the button reads), then press the button and then select a function from the dropdown list. Then click "Confirm". To define another keystroke, just press "set" again and press another key etc..I hope this helps.Tuomas

Guest pookie

YES YES YES ... thank you thank you thank you. It works GREAT. I now have control to toggle my taxi light, beacon and strobe independanty ... and there are a lot more things I can do. I guess I'll need to think of more switches for my cockpit. Thanks for the reminder of using FSUIPC. I had it all along, but for some reason (probabaly because it's too late and I'm too tired) I didn't even think of checking it.

Don't we all just love the child-like wonder moment when you realize you press the button and the taxi light turns on in the sim? :-)When I got my FSBUS to work I just toggled the landing light for maybe a n hour and smiled with a very big grin =)Good luck with the rest of the project!Tuomas

You do not even have to use fsuipc for that. http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlon the above site is a file called FS2002ctls.docit explains in detail how you can change almost everything in the fs2002.cfg fileSo you can alter whatever you like with keyboardhacking. The standard assignment menu in fs2002 is rather poorly equiped.norbert bosch

Guest pookie

Attn all keyboard hackers;You know the old saying, "Learn from other peoples' mistakes because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself"? Well, that's true also for keyboard hacking.I won't get into the details, unless you want me to, but the best solution I've been able to come with so far is as follows:#1 keyboard (used for typing and everything non FS related) should be a USB connection.#2 keyboard (used as keyboard emulation - FS switches, knobs, etc) should be a REALLY OLD BIG KEYED keyboard with the old 5-pin connection. You can find these as a second hand PC store, like the Goodwill. Buy a 5-pin to PS/2 converter so it will plug into your PC.The old keyboard is very easy to hack into and then attach your wire leads to in order to attach your switches. I actually did it all without using solder. I hacked an old prototyping board. You can simply push wires into slots (holes) and the connections are made underneath the board (can it BE any easier)?Hope this helps someone:)

Yes, but it is a million times easier wiht FSUIPC since you dont need to restart FS every time you change something and want to try if it works.But sure, patching fs2002.cfg works too and the document is an interesting read anyway./Tuomas