Sign in to follow this  

Toggle Switch

Hello All,Can anybody recommend me a good online place to buy toggle switches?Of course, I'm looking for switches to use on a cockpit, so your experience in that matter is appreciated.ThanksNicolas

Guest Dodiano

There is a place you can get almost everything:www.flightdecksolutions.comTake care.Roberto

There are a myriad of different kinds of switches for different uses. You need to be open minded, go to for example www.mouser.com and www.digikey.com and download their PDF catalogs, look around at your local electronics store etc.Since the home cockpit is not flying for real, weight or super-quality are not big issues, so pretty much any switch does the job. The big problem is, if you are after a as-close-as-you-can replica of a real flight deck, where to find correct looking ones.It's always a balance between the budget, looks and functionality. Different people weigh different things in this hobby.If you are in europe, I think www.conrad.com in germany sells switches, as well as www.elfa.se. There are LOTS of places to get them from./Tuomas

Guest AirPanther

What type of aircraft are you building? There are lots of places to buy switches depending on the type you need.As Tuomas said, Mouser is a great place to look. Also, I got a lot of toggle switches from Radio Shack.Roberthttp://www.777Project.cjb.net

Whilst we're discussing toggles, where can you get the large round fuel cut-off toggles for B747 or similar?

Guest MikePowell

Nicolas,You might also take a look at vendors like all Electronics www.allelectronics.com and Marlin P. Jones & Associates www.mpja.com They often have over run/excess inventory items at reduced prices. Both carry toggle switches.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Thanks all for the links.I'm sure I'll find what I need there.I'm trying to build a generic cockpit, that can be used for several aircrafts. Nothing fancy, this is my first cockpit.Nicolas

A possibility is to attach an extension "head" to a normal toggle, if you make a big round head from a piece of aluminium tube or such, and put in a small screw on the backside to tighten it in place.This hobby is a lot about keeping your eyes open in the shopping mall and thinking outside the box. Sure, you can get real plane parts, but not everyone can afford that - that's when the creativity kicks in, and you start thinking of alternative methods./Tuomas