Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

ATR 42-300

Guest RiddlePilot

I love the ATR 42-500 for FS. After gawking at the beauty of not only the outside, but also the inside, I found the 42-300. When flying this craft, I have some questions as to proper power management. Following the checklist, before t/o I set the PMS to show correct t/o torque, then push up the throttle to match the torque. The checklist then says to adjust the condition levers to bring the NP to 100%. When I do that, the torque goes down, so I bump the power up, then the master warning light comes on. I know that torque is a direct relation to power output, but I just can't figure out how to set things up right. Same thing happens on climb-out. Set the power to climb according to the PMS, then bring the condition back to 86% NP. The warning light then comes on. Also, there's no mention in the checklist of what NP to use during cruise.Can someone PLEASE help.Edit: If this sounds confusing, its cause the author is confused about the whole thing himself.

Try rereading the documents that came with the ATR42-300, especially the paragraph labelled - The Plane.Once you set the condition levers to 100%NP, just use the power levers to maintain the torque and don't allow it to get above the TO value. Follow the procedure in the documentation as soon as possible after TO. I think if you reread this section, you will get a better understanding. Once you have an understanding of how it works, you might want to fine tune your checklist. I have been meaning to do it since I started flying the ATR42-300 some time ago.One of the problems I have is with my throttle. I use FSUIPC to provide a detente for Beta and computer noise reduction. The problem is that it moves the remaining throttle to a lesser part of the potentiometer, which makes fine adjustments a little harder.

Hi,The NP to be used in cruise should be 77%, or 86% in icing conditions.I plan to make a fix for the warning lights. I used the default King Air master warning lights, but these have a strange behaviour when torque increases. At each rpm variation, the power should be adjsuted accordingly. This effect is not so obvious in the -500, in which the propeller tables are more fine tuned.The -500 model can also be flown with manual rpm control with the aid of a "backdoor" I left in the condition levers: placing them in feather condition disables the gauge automation, so the propellers will go to feather condition but afterwards will follow any command from you controller or keyboard.Regards,Paco