Sign in to follow this  

Cessna 421C - I cannot stop this thing

Guest gasebah

Hi guys, hi Heather,I do not know what it is. I have been using her on shorter runways and little airports a lot lately. But the rollout almost takes as long as with a 737 so I normally end up on meadows or in a tree. Does this thing use a different brake sensitivity, or something. Cuz when I apply full brakes with my CHpedals it does not seem to do anything.No prob with any other plane though.Does it have reverse? The F2 key does nothing.Pls help. I hate to get in the slew mode after every landing ;-).Alex

Alex,I have the 421 and she brakes fine. I wonder if the sensitivty of your brake assignments needs adjusting. I don't have the CH Pedals - I have the PFC Cirrus Pedals with Analogue Toe Brakes and I also have one button of my AETI Yoke programmed for Brakes. I have the repeat slider halfway across for this.Hope you get this sorted - its a great plane to fly.(Except for the annoying Landing view which doesn't stick)Keith Cocker

Guest gasebah

Hi Keith,it is a fact I set my senistivities quite low as the DFArcher almost flipped when I applied those brakes. So I guess we have to set different sensitivities for different planes now too. With all the add-ons this whole setup stuff starts to get annoying. Takes me half an hour of preparations for a 20 minute flight now :-).As for the landing view I do not care as I do all my landings from the VC since I have TrackIR. It is the greatest thing after you got used to. U never take your eyes off the runway on short final.Alex

Guest UweR

Hi, do you have the Archer as well? The landing view can be easily "fixed" so that it comes back after you used side views.Best Regards, Uwe

Alex,You can probably adjust the braking somewhere in either the .air or .cfg files. If you have AirED look at the variables that are listed. I'm sure that there is something about the brakes there. I don't have the toe brakes but it stops very well using the button I have assigned on my Virtual Pilot Pro. I have a question. What is TrackIR and where can I get it?maxsdad

Guest gasebah

Hi,I would normally take some time to explain but it is already 3 'o clock in the morning here. I'd rather go sleeping. Check this out right here in the store at avsim: http://store.yahoo.com/avsim-store/tracgxhangam.htmlOr do a quick search in the Forum for IRTracker or TrackIR. You should find everything you wanna know.Alex

Uwe,Yes I have the Archer - could you let me know how to fix the 421 landing view. ThanksKeith Cocker

Hit the periond key along with your joystick or whatever device you are using and it will stop faster.

Thanks Alex,Very interesting but I don't think I want to spend $130.00 for it since I have my right hand hat switch programmed to do the same thing.maxsdad

Guest gasebah

NO, no, no this thing is completely different.Let me try to explain.1.First of all the TrackIR is a mouse not 8 buttons. Therefore the movement is totally smooth and not jumpy like with a POV head. That is provided that your computer is fat enough however.2. Now here comes the important thing: !situational awareness!.Let us assume you drive a car and are approaching a curve. Now what would you do? Keep your head straight and move the steering wheel until the street aligns with the car? No because that would be totally dangerous as you would never see what is in that bend , right?Also you would have no awareness whatsoever how good your steering action keeps you on the road and no anticipation as to when the curve ends.3. What do you do instead. You keep your eyes outside the car and on the road watching the point where you actually want to be in the next second, permantently adjusting that point, and align the vehicle with the road, not the road with the vehicle. Well, exactly that is possible with trackIR. Because you permantently adjust yourviewpoint with the movement.4. This is also the reason why this thing has a learning curve to go through. When you are simming you are used to align the scenery with the cockpit instead of doing vice versa like in real life.Alex

Uwe, after copying some code over from the Archer, I have accomplished this also.. but now the GPS comes up "behind the panel"..What lines do you use in the panel.cfg file?

Bert

Hmmm?i am having the same problem with the F-16. She just ends up in a clump of tree's at the end of the runway!..Hhehehe,,,great plane tho.But i would like to stop and taxi her to the gates also, without needing body work :DThere must be something in the Aircraft.cfg file to tweak?....Any ideas? :)

Guest gasebah

You are right Fred, that works, but I'd rather stop it with the pedals. The 421 simply seems to have a different progession/sensitivity on the brakes than most planes.Alex