Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

One last thing about turning ur AGP off

Guest gasebah

Just wanted to add one more thing. Thought I'd better open a new thread, so you do not have to do all that scrolling.On my system if I disable the AGP, it is essential to turn VSync off!!Otherwise I will have strange picture jumps. Right now I cannot think of a direct connection between the two or an explanation for this fact.Turning VSync off never made a huge difference on my sytem with AGP on, although I remember a thread from Paul, proving that it will improve frame rates with AGP too. With AGP off it is a much larger difference.So before finally judging what disabling AGP can do on yr system you might want to check if VSync is disabled.Alex

Guest JamesJ

This is probably a dumb question, but what is AGP texturing and how do I turn it off?..JamesJ

Alex:After doing some exaustive testing on my rig, I've found that disabling AGP textures actually drops my 3DMark score and doesn't affect FS2002 at all.Dropping my AGP aperature to 16MB did make a difference...Here are my scores in 3DMark1. 64MB Aperature / AGP Text - 9532 24.42 Detonator Drivers2. 16MB Aperature / AGP Text - 9991 30.30 Detonator Drivers3. 16MB Aperature / AGP Text Off - 9852 30.30 Detonator DriversHere are my system specs.P4 1.8Ghz, OC'd to 2.01Ghz - Golden Orb CPU CoolingPNY Verto Geforce4 Ti4600 OC'd to 320/720 - Blue Orb GPU CoolingNvidia Detonator Drivers 30.30384MB Rambus PC800 RamSuplemental Cooling: Front intake fan, rear exhaust fan, PCI / GPU fan, Dual HD fans-with heatsinks, Powersupply fan. (case is coooold to the touch :-) )Anyway, the biggest jump was upgrading to the new 30.30 detonator drivers and dropping the AGP size to 16MB.Now, some more tweaking to get my old 1.8Ghz up above 10,000 3DMarks. Can you say obsession?!

Guest gasebah

Dear Mike,please forget the 3DMark in this matter. From the first moment we all stated that this is very strongly linked to the application. My 3DMark score also drops considerably when turning AGP off or even set the Aperture size to 16MB (I suppose your fast RAM makes all the difference here). This is only suposed to help FS2002 and meanwhile it is a proven fact that a lot of users had a considerably good effect when either turning AGP off or set the aperture size low (as yourself). 3DMark is a totally different story. Iwould really love to have a benchmarking tool fr FS2002 exclusively. That would spare us all a lot of speculation and empirism (u say that in English??)BTW u should beat the 10K with default settings and without any tweaking with ur rig. I'm wondering.Alex

Alex:Nope. There are only 2 1800Mhz scores untweaked that touch 10000 at all.In the same token, I can confirm that I get a performance DROP by turning off AGP Texturing in FS2002....To be continued.Mike T.