Sign in to follow this  
Guest jan737

Redec question

Guest jan737

Hi George,As earlyer discussed by George:To make it simple :subID 0 : Pins 1 - 2 subID 1 : Pins 3 - 4subID 2 : Pins 5 - 6subID 3 : Pins 7 - 8subID 4 : Pins 15-16subID 5 : Pins 13-14subID 6 : Pins 11-12SubID 7 : Pins 9 -10Does it mean that you only can connect 4 rotary's via a redec to one key pcb, because there are to out's at the redec for each rotary?When it's true than you need a lot of key pcb's to get the thing at work.Kind regards Jan.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

I replied to the other thread as well, but it's better to this one.No, currnently you can connect a total of 16 rotary encoders (32 redec outputs) on a key PCB.each bank can accomodate 2 rotary encoders.Note the numbers on the PCB. There are 8 banks of 8 bits each, so it give us 64Bits input.Each redec occupies 2bits and 2bits are currently remain unused.1bit = 1 pin PAIR.So subID 0 is 2 pins = 1 pin pair = 1BITYou connect output 1 of the redec to 1BIT (1pair of pins, i.e. 1+2)and output 2 of the redec to another 1BIT (subsequent pair of pins, 3+4)If you need even more detail just ask.. :-)George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Guest jan737

Hi George,Just to be sure I add a file. Please look at that and see that I made the right connection.Kind regards Jan.

FYI, Leo over at Beta Innovations is making a revision to his rotary decoder boards to allow them to be used with matrix scanning boards like the FSBUS. (It's currently designed for use with the boards he makes which are discreet inputs). Once he's done - a day or two only he says - I'll be ordering a bunch of them, so if anyone wants any, let me know. They'll be $5 each, and each one can decode three rotaries. Richard

Guest jan737

RichardThanks for you reply.Do you have any further info about that?Is it possible that I get a schematic and/or a pcb layout of that?I'm now using a redec to connect the rotary's to the key pcb there for I ask George to look at the attached file If it's the right way to connect the rotary to the key pcb.Kind regards Jan.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

No No...Wrong!... I'm attaching another JPG showing where you should connect.Now that I think of it I should have done this from the start!Anyway, better late than never... :-)Cheers,George DorkofikisAthens, Greecehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/62222.jpg

If you go to www.betainnovations.com and click hardware.... usb bus.... addons you will see the files, including schematic, pcb layout etc, for the current design of the decoder. He tells me - I don't speak electronic :-) - that it needs a small mod to be compatible with a scanning matrix type input.Richard

This works only in FsBus 2.0.8 version.In previous versions (like 2.0.2 i'm using) you have to connect one redec in every bank (positions 0 & 1 only).I hope that Dirk will work on this and if will make every bank more productive!Eddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

This works only in FsBus 2.0.8 version.In previous versions (like 2.0.2 i'm using) you have to connect one redec in every bank (positions 0 & 1 only).I hope that Dirk will work on this and if will make every bank more productive!Eddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

Guest jan737

Thanks Guys. I'm soldering the connections now and will try later this week.First i've get at work.Kind regards Jan.

Guest tralluccio

As I've already said before:I've connected 4 (FOUR) rotaries in each bank and they works perfectly. Each rotary generates two output trough the redec so the bank is full, and everything works perfectly with fsbus version 2.0.8 beta. If you can't get 4 rotaries working in a single bank (trough redec: total of 8 redec output) with fsbus 2.0.8 may be you have something wrong.

?????Do use them WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM in FsBus 2.0.8???You turn the rotary left or right by one detent and you increase/decrease only one value every time?In my setup, in ver208 it changes only the numbers 1,3,5,7,9, but not 2,4,6,8,0 In ver 2.0.2 it works fine!!!Any idea??Eddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

Guest tralluccio

no eddiesorry, I've the x2 prroblem as well. I should say "without problem connecting more that two rotaries for each bank". What I want to say is that I can connect 4 rotaries for each bank and they work, with the x2 bug still.bye