Sign in to follow this  
rickalty

Turboprop EICAS via WideFS

OK, here's a VERY rough first draft. Colours etc are pretty horrible. There's a few problems.... I can't find any source in FS for the RAT, or for fuel tank temperature. However, the other gauges are working. I'm not sure though what to put for the "EPR limit" box on the screenie that was posted before.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/60453.jpgAny suggestions or requests?Richard

Guest SHORT360

Hey Richard,That's absolutely fantastic. For me are the color OK.Cannot believe you did that so quickly.I think that instead of RAT one can simply put here the TAT. If there is'nt any source for the Fuel Temp I would suggest to put there the Ldg gear situation.In the engine panel I miss the Prop or NP also displayed in % of 120.So far it is an impressive work. Do you believe it will work on an older Laptop PII 233 Mhz ???And I forgot, about the size. Are the displays moveable and sizeable in order to fit my panel ??Thanks so much Richard.Kind RegardsRoger

>>That's absolutely fantastic. For me are the color OK.Cannot believe >>you did that so quickly.Thanks, but a lot of thanks must go to Chris Brett. The "Hello World" code example he wrote for the SDK for Pete Dowson's FSUIPC is the core of the actual communication with FSUIPC, and without that it would be a far larger task. >>I think that instead of RAT one can simply put here the TAT. If >>there is'nt any source for the Fuel Temp I would suggest to put >>there the Ldg gear situation.OK, easy.>>In the engine panel I miss the Prop or NP also displayed in % of >>120.Instead of one of the four gauges that's there now, or increase to five pairs of gauges? >>So far it is an impressive work.Thank you. >>Do you believe it will work on an older Laptop PII 233 Mhz ???Oh yes, that's more than enough.>>And I forgot, about the size. Are the displays moveable and >>sizeable in order to fit my panel ??Not yet. Moveable's a fairly easy change that I can make just before release, but scaleable is actually a pretty big deal. The panel size is full screen at 600 x 800 resolution. Can you let me have the physical height / width of the screen you want to run it on, and the physical measurements of the panel? (Email me at rickalty@NOSPAMaol.com - remove the "NOSPAM")Since I suspect that few people will be trying to fit the screen to a pre-existing physical panel, it might be easier if I just rolled it out to fit your panel and let anyone else who chooses to download it make their panels fit the screen. Since I'll be putting the background 'scenery' on the panel anyway, it should lok fine with the whole of a users scren fitting a single panel cutout anyway.Richard

Guest SHORT360

Hi Richard,>>Instead of one of the four gauges that's there now, or increase to five pairs of gauges?I think so. If it is possible.As regards the physical height and width of my panel, I will send you all that by E-mail.Still a lot of thanks for what our are doing, indeed.Roger

Guest High Octane

Hi Richard First of all, I must say I am so impressed with the work. That sure look awesome. About the color I am sure there is a way you could make some few adjustment or leave open for everyone to decide which tyoe of color they would pleased and based on their monitor too.Richard or anyone Second of all, For a year and yet goes by... I have researched or try to gather information on implementing Gauges, or sometype of instrument indication. Trying to learn how understand what how it affect the changes of a text in every refresh rate based on MSFS values( Moving needles, switching numbers or letters) and yet, I havent get there. The purpose of my moviation to learn into these is because I wanted to create instruction station myself, and a good start for me is :(look at picture display at the bottom) As you can see I would have external view in the left, and Glass cockpit at the right displaying once at a time running one cpu in via linking with other cpu that display at each single monitor and PCs. I have seen someone done that before but they won't distribute it and metioned that is for personal purpose only. I was hoping you could share your experience, how did you first startlearn on implementing the panels? Would it be good to use Chris Brett--FSUIPC manual? and whatsoever, share me out some advices too I'd be so so much appreicated if you could share and if I succeed I would get to share with anyonehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/60627.jpg

Guest High Octane

P.S. In case you're asking... Yes I do have VB and C++, also Borland C++ too = )

There's basically two steps, one pretty complex and one very easy. The first step is the complex one - using Inter-Process Communication to get the values out of MSFS in the first place. Luckily, however, Chris' "Hello World" app in the SDK includes the module that actually does that. Once the communication is established, the outside program (I use VB, so that's what I'll base this on)simply executes a call to FSUIPC to get any value it needs.For example, Call FSUIPC_Read(&H580, 4, VarPtr(Heading), dwResult)will obtain the 4 bits stored in offset 580 and store it in a variable called "Heading". Once it's there, you can do anything you want with it with just somple VB code. You can simply transfer the value to the caption property of a label, for example, to show it as a value on a digital readout, or you can use trig functions to draw a needle pointing at the right angle to make an analogue gauge.Additionally, you can call FSUIPC_Write to put a value from a variable back into an offset, so a VB application can also drive controls connected to a different computer. A serial connection could pass flags or values back into the program again that could then be written to MSFS. Richard

Well, one small problem right away..You have the overall width from the inside edge of the standby AH to the inside edge of the right hand Eicas panel at 255mm. Well, on the Dell P233 laptop I'm using to test drive it, the whole screen is only 247mm wide. You mentioned that a P233 laptop was what you wanted to run this on - have you checked the screensize?Richard

Guest SHORT360

Richard,I cant measure the screen of my laptop yet since the it is not here in that appartment. But 247 mm are OK. Both standby instruments would anyway have been some bonus.I can live without them and will make two of them servos driven.On the right side of the engine system panel, I will put LEDs displays for Fuel tanks.But for other user I find the stand by instruments an excellent solution.I cant wait and I am very keen to see that soft running here in my cockpit.Kind regardsRoger

Guest High Octane

There's basically two steps, one pretty complex and one very easy. The first step is the complex one - using Inter-Process Communication to get the values out of MSFS in the first place. Luckily, however, Chris' "Hello World" app in the SDK includes the module that actually does that. Once the communication is established, the outside program (I use VB, so that's what I'll base this on)simply executes a call to FSUIPC to get any value it needs.>Yes, for first step, I'd use VN... maybe afterwhile getting familar with that. I could try on any other type of application programFor example, Call FSUIPC_Read(&H580, 4, VarPtr(Heading), dwResult)will obtain the 4 bits stored in offset 580 and store it in a variable called "Heading". Once it's there, you can do anything you want with it with just somple VB code. You can simply transfer the value to the caption property of a label, for example, to show it as a value on a digital readout, or you can use trig functions to draw a needle pointing at the right angle to make an analogue gauge.Additionally, you can call FSUIPC_Write to put a value from a variable back into an offset, so a VB application can also drive controls connected to a different computer. A serial connection could pass flags or values back into the program again that could then be written to MSFS. >Would I need to register FSUIPC?

>Would I need to register FSUIPC? No, not to just be able to connect to MSFS using it, unless you have plans to try to sell your app. If it's to be free - which would include just for you - all you have to do is ask Pete for a free key.If you don't register FSUIPC you don't get the other functions, but you can still read and write to MSFS through the unregistered version.Richard