Sign in to follow this  
Guest Salbado

Throttles Set Up

Guest Salbado

I will be using a slide potentiometer from Xicon Alpha for my A320 Throttles and was wondering why does the slide pot have 4 pins (A B C D)...it is a 100K Linear pot. I was expecting 3 terminals and I was only going to use two... like a rotary.Anybody know? Thanks.

Guest MikePowell

Looks like the wiper has two pins. The spec sheet on the Mouser Electronics site http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/143132.pdf shows two pin#2's. This is for one of the Xicon/Alpha models. Don't know if this is what you bought, but is probably representative.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest Salbado

Thank you Mike...I was hoping to hear from you...Yes, that's it... 2 Number 2 Pins. Thank you. How could I have missed this?While I have your attention, how would I wire this? Do I ignore one of the #2 Pins? Or does this just allow centering of the slider? Looks like I will use just 2 pins from either side, yes? And do I have to wire up 1 & 3 like on a rotary?BTW... I have read your treatise on Pots and was wondering what advise you have for doing these Throttles. I am planning to set these up with a 15 PIN D GAmeport and then convert through a USB Adapter (Rockfire) for killing the Jitters..I will need good equal calibration between engines 1 & 2.Again, Thanks .

You should get one of those "multimeters" that lets you measure resistance, then you can see which pins have what. It's very useful for a lot of things anyway.Tuomas

Guest MikePowell

Hi,For wiring to a gameport you need to connect one of the pin 2's to an axis input. Shouldn't matter which one. depending on the orientation of the pot, either pin 1 or pin 3 (but not both) should be wired to a +5 pin on the gameport. Good tracking for throttles can be a tough issue. It's not always clear where the mismatches come from. What you might do is get a multi-meter and measure the resistances of each pot as you move both throttles to several positions throughout their range. This will give you an idea of how well the pots track before going through the USB adapter.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest Salbado

Thanks much...I'll try that as well as some of Rob's suggestion on eliminating jitters and getting over 10,000 units in FSUIPC values...I will need the whole range as I will be trying to calibrate 5 "Gates" for the A320. TOGA,FLEX,CLB,IDLE,REV