Sign in to follow this  
Guest f1yerian

Headsets and ATC

Guest f1yerian

I asked the question a while ago on this forum and very much appreciated all the info - how to split ATC from ambient cockpit sounds? The overwhelming answer was to use R/Wilco.Does this mean that I can listen to the general AI ATC or is it only when flying online with multiplayer or through Vatsim?Sorry for sounding stupidFlyerian

Guest Leo Zelig

Don't knock yourself Flyerian! Not one of us can know every aspect of this hobby.I've used two sound cards on one PC before, and split FS sound from online communications(via Roger Wilco). But I don't know any way to break out FS ATC comms from ambient sound, so for AI ATC you're stuck unless someone knows another way.But! I use an add on called Radar Contact which I use on a separate networked PC. I hook my headset to that PC and my speakers to the FS PC. It works for me, especially since I don't fly online. They have a forum here on Avsim. I like it - take a look.Hope that helps,Chris

Guest f1yerian

I am currently building a generic 2 jet c/pit with 4 PCs. 1 Which is the main withFS9 through my projector and the other 3 which will run the instruments. I am wiating for a free router from a friend before going to the next stage - wide screen etc. Do you mean that I can put my sound through one of the instrumentPCs to get what I want?Ian

Guest Leo Zelig

Sounds similar to my flightdeck project. Good luck with it.Quote - "Do you mean that I can put my sound through one of the instrumentPCs to get what I want?"Well, if you mean the ATC communications and chatter, yes you could achieve this by running Radar Contact on one of the networked PCs. Then you'd turn off ATC audio on the PC running FS9. RC is a great add-on, and I enjoy it. Its current version needs some work as far as AI control goes. This is freely admitted by JD, the developer, and he has plans for better AI interaction and control in the next version. I get the feeling Microsoft's not been much of a help in his quest to work with their AI.But until then, the good points completely overwhelm this drawback.Chris

For networked pc's with wideview, do the slaves also produce sound?Then one could selectively mute the ATC from a PC and everything else from another PC, and you get separated ATC sound. Whether that works in reality, I have no idea.Tuomas

Guest Leo Zelig

Tuomas, that's good thinking!Very ingenious solution.But, I've never used wideview.I hope someone who has can answer this though.(wheels turning)Chris

Of course, then, FS2002 and 2004 ATC sucks quite a bit if you really want to learn and fly in controlled airspace.May I recommend VATSIM for serious air traffic control fun instead? www.vatsim.net/Tuomas