Sign in to follow this  
Guest luckas

Illuminated Switch Question

Guest luckas

Hi all,In the process of planning a simple 'introductory' panel (MCP) using beta innovations' "Gamma Ray" USB module, I've arrived at a bit of an impass. I've been toying with the idea of illuminated switches, and have a couple of questions:I understand (courtesy of an off-line conversation with Leo) that if I use integrated LED switches, I will need to power the LED part of the switch separately - and to that end am looking for a DPST/DT switch which allows me to achieve this. The other problem is that by using illuminated switches, I need to consider how the LED or switch is de-activated automatically for MCP commands which provide this functionality. For example, pressing LNAV automatically disengages HDG SEL, V/S disengaging ALT HOLD etc. Perhaps I should revert to the original plan of using the on-screen panel for annunciation, and just use non-illuminated switches (at least for the moment). Or is there a simple solution to this dilemma while still utilising the Gamma Ray and standard illuminated switches ?Thanks,Paul

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Yes there is a way, but it involves customising the switch. You can use a microswitch with an LED sitting next to it, with the translucent button sitting above the two but in contact with the micro switch. Ideally for the MCP the flightsim software should be used to switch the LED on and off.How you make the switch is up to you, but if you get stuck, feel free to ask for advice, particularly as some of us (like myself) are making their own custom switches.

If all turning off switches / LED's is mechanical - ie as you say hitting LNAV turns certain other switches off, then you can do that through relays - turning on a certain switch activates a relay which turns off certain other switches. Complicated, but do-able. On the other hand, if some need to be turned off by MSFS (For example, manually pushing the throttles forward turns off autothrottle) then you need program output. You can either get an output module of some sort such as FSBUS, wait for Leo's output card, or if all you want is to turn a few LED's on and off, a serial port connection and a bit of Visual Basic will do it.Richard

Guest luckas

Thanks both. It is starting to make sense (input modules, output modules etc.) I think I'll keep things simple for the moment - and add output functionaliy via Leo's planned "ElectronFlux" output card when it becomes available.In the mean time - I'm still also patiently waiting on the rotary decoders - so there's plenty to learn / keep me occupied.There's also Scott Fausel's simple solution which seems quite a viable solution for these one off projects.http://www.iflightsystems.com/Thanks again,Paul