Sign in to follow this  
Guest luckas

FSBUS PCB Printing

Guest luckas

Could someone please provide me with a quick sanity check ? I'm downloading the FSBUS COM schematic and pcb. I open the .ps file in photoshop, and print onto, say, press-n-peel film. This gets ironed onto copper pcb for etching. I'm assuming that the .ps file does not need to be reversed - ie, is the 'right way up' as is ?Thanks,Paul

Guest Glenn Weston

Thats absolutely correct Paul.Glenn.

Guest luckas

Thanks Glenn.Two last quick questions:I've opened the .ps file in photoshop and test printed it on white paper. Am I right in assuming that the size will be right? (Looks about right) Also, has anyone tried "press-n-peel" using an inkjet printer? Many thanks, Paul

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Press-n-Peel are especially designed to use the characteristics of the toner used by laser printers. They will NOT work with inkjet.The size is right, just make sure you set the resolution (you are asked when loading) to at least 600dpi and also make sure you set the (LASER) printer to the same resolution before printing.After printing avoid touching the printed surface and keep it away from heat and scratches.Good luck!George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Guest MattOlieman

Excuse my ignorance:) Can I assume "Press-n-Peel" is part of a process to make Printed Circuit Boards (PCB)? If so, please give me some direction of where to find more info about this. Thanks:)

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Press-n-Peel is indeed a process of making PCB's. You can get it fairly cheaply from most electronics hardware stores that sell stuff for making PCB's. Unfortunately due to the nature of the transfer system you have, as mentioned above, to use a laser printer or a photocopyer that uses toner. It's the toner that gets transferred, and toner has a special property that allows this. Ink will just not work, and in fact you may well smudge it, or find that the etchant washes it off!

Guest MattOlieman

Absolutely fabulous:) I don't use FSBUS, so if I want to design my own PCB.... I bet someone is going to tell me there is a program that will help me.I just love this.... could we have done this 10 - 15 years ago... I would be searching.... searching.... I wouldn't even know where to start.I DO, I appreciate my fellow Sim Builders!

Guest MattOlieman

Thanks for the info Glenn, I do recall your post, I guess it just didn't sink in of the potential. I do recall at one time there was mention of a shareware program to help design PCB's. If anyone knows anything about that.... please share:)

Guest mbessler

This method of making PCBs is called "toner transfer".You don't have to use the Press-and-Peel stuff. Normal magazine/catalogue paper works fine usually. Getting good results depends on a few factors like toner, temperature, time and pressure when ironing on.You can usually get pretty good results after some experimenting.It is even possible to go down to SMD sizes. The smallest I have experimented with were 12mil traces/12mil space.I make all my PCBs using the toner transfer method, and it works great for me :-)See http://cockpit.varxec.de/electronics/PHCC.html for pictures with comments.The paper I use is from a electronics catalogue. Stuff similar to Time Magazine,... should work. Its the kind of paper that has a smooth surface, kind of plastic-like.As for programs to create pcbs: - There is eagle light, that can be used for non-commerical purposes up to a board size of 80x100mm http://www.cadsoftusa.com- ExpressPCB, free, but export is limited (goes along with their PCB service) http://www.expresspcb.com there are other demo versions, search the web.I use eagle. I've known it since the old DOS days and Linux has been supported for a couple of years now :-)Manuel