Sign in to follow this  
Guest ATCguy

Flight controls almost finished

Guest ATCguy

So far, so good. The concept is based directly upon Roland van Roy's excellent DIY tutorial. I am having some difficulty with the spring-action of the elevator controls. Seems that the controls do not want to return to centre, or are very sluggish in doing so. I will try some stronger springs, perhaps? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!Roger

Good job Roger. It looks like a well done assembly. One of the biggest problems with spring operated mechanical systems is frictional drag. I noticed a threaded rod running through some tubing. Is this rod riding back and froth in the tubing? If so, you have an enormous amount of drag, as the threads rub on the tubing. Try grinding off the threads or using two washers and nuts to clamp the tubing to the rod and then allowing the tubing to be the sliding area. It will create less drag. Try finding nylon or teflon bushings to reduce drag. Sometimes Home Depot or other big home centers catty them or a plastics mail order company, such as U.S. Plastics.If you want to add additional springing, be sure and balance them so you don

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest ATCguy

Thanks, John. The threaded rod does not move back and forth within the tubing; it's fixed to the rod with nuts. The tubing rides back and forth inside two plastic collars, which are screwed to the case. Because this contraption will go underneith my monitor, I had to make it as flat as possible. As a result, the "roll sensor" drags along the bottom, unfortunately (I can fix this). I'm also looking for some type of grease that isn't too messy to help with the friction inside the plastic collars and along the guiding rod.Thanks again! Roger