Sign in to follow this  
Guest chamois

motion sim with step motors

Guest chamois

Hello everybody,I am thinking about a motion simulator.Do tou think it is possible to build a cockpit as this one (http://www.acesim.com/main.html) with step by step motors on each axes (pitch and roll) ?The advantage of this construction is that you don't need a lot of power to move it, because of the center of gravity.Am i dreaming or not ???

Guest MikePowell

Hello Chamois,Using a balanced systems will indeed reduce the torque demands on your motors. And you can use stepping motors.Just how powerful the motors need to be depends on your expectations. Commercial flight simulator motion bases are designed to simulate the motion clues of flight. They have to move quickly enough to generate the clues in synchronization with the visual sensations of the simulation. When they are out of synch many people experience simulator-induced motion sickness. To stay in synch, the motors have to be powerful enough to quickly rotate the combined mass of the pilot, seat, controls and instruments.F=MA still applies, but now it's torque and angular acceleration. Ultimately, torque means motor power.Roland vanRoy built a balanced motion base using servo motors. He would be an excellent source of information regarding responsiveness and the required motor torque. Roland occasionally posts here. Perhaps he could comment.A balanced mass motion base could be a really neat project. Keep us posted.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest chamois

Yes, i know this site, and you are right : it is too much expensive for me !