Sign in to follow this  

Unbelievable! Disable AGP and voila!

My experience with exactly the same card (GF3 Ti200) were same as yours. I turned AGP back on as this trick didnt improve things at all. Maybe its card specific.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest cornclose

Voodoo 5 do not support AGP texturing, so it won't make any difference. In other words, it is already switched off by default, and cannot be enabled.3dfx were correct all along...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

FYI, I didn't see any FPS improvement either. However microstutters (subtle hesitations when taxiing and in banked turns DESPITE ok FPS) have improved alot. Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

If I disable (dxdia) AGP I now longer have the ability in FS2002 to select 1600x1200x32. Go figure. And yes the desktop is set at that res. ASUS P4T 512 VisionTek Ti4600BobG

Guest PhilC

That is true. The one drawback that I have seen with disabling it, at least with some cards, is that you have to choose a different resolution in some cases.

Guest gasebah

Hi Bob,?????????. I am running at 1600x1200x32 all the time. I have a GF4Ti4600 frm MSI and that is pretty much the Nvidia reference layout. So it is hard to believe for me. Did you try to manually adjust the res entry in the fs2002.cfg? Might be worth a try.I am sure you know that you have to do that without FS2002 running or it will overwrite it.Alex

I will try and let you know. ThanksBy the way, are u just setting agp bios to 16 or are you disabling completely via dxdiag or both?TksBob

Guest gasebah

I do not know :-). I am still playing around in different situations. The difference on my system is very subtle.Alex

Count me as a convert. I had FS2002 locked at 17 fps, but it rarely got that high. Being mainly a low and slow sight-seer (sp?), I usually saw 12-15fps.I set the aperature to 16 MB in the BIOS and disabled AGP texturing in DXdiag, and now I can keep FS2002 locked at 22 fps and only see a drop with demanding addon scenery or planes.However, I too seem to have lost the ability to run 1280x960x32 resolution. Maybe because I have a 64MB card instead of a 128MB one?

Guest cornclose

This probably means that you were always using AGP texturing to get that resolution with your sliders set the way you have (probably too high).Avoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

I think resolution is a function of your monitor in some respects.I have a 21 inch monitor but bought it used...its a NEC Multi Sync 6FG. Probably 6 years old. Works awesome at 1152x864 at 60 Mhz, but wont go higher at all. My video card will easily go higher. However its the monitor thats the road block.Eric

I honestly think this is both card and monitor dependent. Should be among the best "suspects" for investigation regarding FPS improvement, but I know based on my own experience with my system and those of folks who have similar systems...this tweak doesnt do anything positive.Eric

Guest BC_KBOS

Well, I dropped my AGP aperture down to minimum and then disabled AGP via DXDiag. No real performance boost but my trees turned from trees to large white blobs. Not good.Turned AGP back on in DXDiag and the normal trees returned.The trees are the ones by Gerrish Gray and they normally look swell.VisionTek Ti4600 is my card on an AMD 950 system.Rgrds,BC