Sign in to follow this  

Unbelievable! Disable AGP and voila!

No improvement for me. Quite odd though as it really doesnt matter if I select 16,32,128 or even 256mb of AGP. It doesnt care if I disable it in dxdiag and there is no more or no less improvement in frames, nor is there a perceived difference in image quality. This is certainly a really strange issue and there is something very specific about why it works for some but not others.BobG

Set my aperture size down to 32 and disabled AGP texturing....works good for me! :) Didn't see a huge FPS improvement but it sure helped with stutters.Gary

Absolutely great, no change in frame rates but the Stutters!!!! GONE.

I think this is will be a breath of new life for many FS2002 users with lower end PC's or Video Cards!!I am only using a PIII 450, 348 MB Ram and a Radeon 32MB DDR Video Card. FS2002 was not bat but I noticed a lot of stutters and quick pauses. The frame rates are good in the sky, ok but useable on the ground at a major airport. I typically fly out of KBOS with default scenery, AI Traffic running at 70 %, scenery noraml, autogen dense and terrain at 80 %. Typically got 7 fps on the ground (I have added more AI traffic in the 70 % window). Once I disabled this, I did got a 1+ fps increase but more important, the stutters have been minimized. I have an ATI Tweaker Utility and there are others setting in there for Compressed textures. I am going to look at those as well to see if I can squeeze any more out of it. Thanks again for the tip. It will make FS2Ks using this setup more enjoyable for me. Regards,Mark

Guest gasebah

This is hettin more and more strange, I thought that was for High End PC users (at least that was my theory). Now it turns out it is for everyone and nobody. Can't see any consistency in those reports.Go figure! Mybe one day a real expert will be able to explain why what works on so many systems does not help others at all.Alex

Guest JamesJ

This did not work for me, I'm the guy who has had slow loading AC textures with AMD900 and geforce three 64mb card. Opening AGP aperture to max setting (128) and enabling seems to have solved that problem with FR around 29 or 30 away from dense scenery areas and no stuttering that I can see. JamesJ

it depends upon your system, but normally you would go into setup during bootup from black screen. then you may see something like "chipset" among a list of topics. go into chipset and look for something referring to aperture size. you can use your page up or page donw key to change the size (at least that's how it works on my system, a tyan 1854S mobo.) Remember, tho that you are monkeying with your system's inner guts...tho this should really not hurt anything. After you have made the changes, let the system boot up as usual...Sherman KaplanHighland Park IL

Hi Alex,While I'm surely not a "real expert", I can explain why it varies so much in this case.Its because each system has such a wide variety of BIOS settings for memory (and memory types to begin with). Unless you set two systems side by side and configure them identically, you'll never get fully reproducable results when changing memory timings, speed, latencies, etc. All of these settings have a direct effect on your AGP speeds - not just main memory.Even with AGP disabled, each system will be different unless configured identially... Because each system has different chipsets, OS and drivers installed/configured. The problem is: getting people to configure a system identically isn't an "I'll outline the steps here" type thing. There is just too many variables involved.Hense the need to always preface with a warning and instructions on how to back out of any changes.Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Guest Ali

Hi, in my BIOS I don't have anything to do with aperture size which i am really annoyed about.Is there any other way I can turn this down to 16MB like I am told?Currently have GF2mx 400 64MBCheers and any tips will help.Ali.

Guest odog

hi,wow,this threads getting long!well just to add my findings to this...when i disable agp i got the extra 7 frames i needed, but when i change the aperature size my clouds vanished(not stock) so i changed it back.thanks for the tip...odog

Guest gasebah

There might be. If you have a VIA based chipset there is a program that enables you to set all kinds of settings that might not be adressed in your BIOS. The name is WPCREdit. You should get it at www.viahardware.tw.com or www.viaarena.com.I used to work with this program on my old mobo with VIA KT133 chipset.But be warned. This is not an easy to use program. You have to read the instructions real carefully or you can seriously mess up your system. You might wanna check this out though.But you can always try to disable your AGP with dxdiag first. You cannot mess up anything with this, and if you run into problems you can go back wit the touch of a button.Alex

Guest Ali

I am getting the program now. If you have MSN or something can you talk me through the procedure? Then I won't come into any serious problems. And you talking me through it will guarntee what I am doing is correct.If you don't have MSN please send me an email with instructions to rushhour2_uk@btinternet.com and I will very much appreciate it.I don't get an extra 7 fps with AGP texture off. Just reduces stutters.Thanks.Ali.

Guest gasebah

Sorry, I already was in bed when you posted this. Now I am at work and cannot help you either. BTW I doubt that my knowlege can help you as it all depends on your chipset and bios. But in the afternoon (European time) I will try to find some good links that can help you.Alex

Guest Ali

Thanks very much looking forward to your email.Ali.