Sign in to follow this  
Guest pdieguez

So, what should I do?

Guest pdieguez

Hello guysI've been reading here lately concerned on what interface should I use to connect with the FS. Firstly, FSBUS came up. That seems to be the most interesting idea, as it is not that difficult to build up, instead of IOCards, that seems to be very complex in terms of assembling one. But what I'm concerned here is about how FSBUS connects to the FS. I know it is though FSUIPC, but is there any way I can use it to control third party software, like PMDG737? I don't wanna build a home sim, just a few parts so I can stop flying with the keyboard, a little. Is FSBUS capable of sending keyboard and mouse commands?I think that, since there is a software that interfaces the FS to FSBUS, it wouldn't be that difficult to create another software that have some functionalities that EPIC language does, do you? I know that in this weekend, maybe, there'll be and update on FSBUS' website, but I don't think it'll solve some of my problems...Well, I hope you guys got my idea.Thanks a lotPaulo

Guest MikePowell

Paulo,An approach you might consider is using a keyboard emulator to convert switch actions into keyboard commands. This does not require FSUIPC. It simply sends keyboard messages. Hagstrom Electronics is one of several companies that makes them. http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/Another approach is to take a key board apart and wire into its switch matrix. This takes a bit of effort, but has certainly been done in the past.Take a look a the Belgium Flight Sim Club. They have done some work with keyboard interfaces. http://www.fscb.be/ Here's some general information about using the keyboard port http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/keyboard_port_1.htm Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest yoss

Hi PauloThats can be done with Fsbus at least from fsbus to addon,and somebody already prooved thatDo extended search for word MCP on Avsim PIC767 forum One of the topics---PIC767 and FSBUSThe second topic---My new PIC767 based FSBUS cockpit project ready!and take a lookSame approach can be applyed for PMDG 737NG and any other third partys panel with keyboard assighments How exactly--- we wlll have found out--i amd looking for some solutions as wellJust finished some fsbus modules and trying to setup, but just now in very realy stagesHopefully guys on this forum,with more experience will help us to work arround Would be nice to have more responces about that hereTake careJoseph

Guest PoRrEkE

as always I follow your post, Mike with my remark not to forget 'bout LPTswitch :)Paulo, you can use FSbus to output data via fsuipc as you said, you can hang your led displays and leds on it as well. Then with fsbus you can indeed output keystrokes as you would do with a normal keyboard encoder. this should enable you to access the inputs to FS that are not working with standard FlightSim token variables. Uf you don't figure how to do this, an easy and cheap option is for you to build an LPT switch interface. It'll cost you +/- 10 euro and the software is freeware (even open source).So the biggest price you got to pay for this latter solution is that you'll have an extra program running while flying. So just give FSbus a try. You should do fine :)Or maybe the new kid on the block Photon ( http://www.iflightsystems.com/index.htm ) is something for you. It's a bit more expencive than Fsbus, though it's a finished product. No need to assemble the pcb's etc. And I haven't looked into it in detail but the software behind this interface sounds very user friendly (at least that's what they make us believe at present)Hope to hear from people experimenting with this stuff soon !

Guest pdieguez

Well, I just figured that whatever interface I use, none of them are able to change things in 3rd party software that doesn't have a SDK or something that can output something to FSUIPC so FSBUS can read. So, I think that I should do fine with FSBUS. But something popped up into my head: what does EPIC do that FSBUS doesn't, regarding the ability to change things inside the flight simulator and to read things FROM the flight simulator?? Whatever this difference is, is it worth the cost to buy all that EPIC stuff, for a person that is not really into building a cockpit, but creating a few hardwares just to fly without keyboard and mouse?Thanks a lotPaulo

Guest PoRrEkE

as far as I know off .. nothing that EPIC can do more than FSBus.only difference is that you gotta build FSbus yourself and if I'm well informed for EPIC you got to program yourself ...so FSbus is for sure your way to go :) .. or that Photon stuff.just a little more expencive but no soldering .. but if you don't mind that ... FSbus it is !other than the choise ..>none of them are able to change things in 3rd party software that>doesn't have a SDK or something that can output something to FSUIPC>so FSBUS can readSDK doesn't help for this .. SDK just shows you how to program for something or how to edit it fundamentally.what you probably mean is that you can't acess the pmdg (?) software from your FSbus ? doesn't it have key commands ? are those gauges from pmdg only accessible via mouse clicks ? or do they have external exe gauges like PM ? cuz I don't know.either way (gauges in fs or external), maybe you can ask them to program key commands into them ? just like i had to do with Espen for my Fokker50 panel.and if these gauges from pmdg are external exe files .. for sure they got interaction with FS right ? than they must use fsuipc or some other IPC (inter proces c...something).whichever it is, maybe there is a solution for it. i got some problems with my Fokker50 but with fsbus and hopefully some help from Dirk (new options in fsbus router) it might all work fine.

I'd say it's not worth the extra, not if replacing the keyboard is all you're looking for. In fact, for just that, just hacking a keyboard would be all you need, or use one of Leo's cards (www.betainnovations.com) as a keyboard emulator.Richard