Sign in to follow this  
Guest pookie

B1900D Pojection !!!

Guest mmorrell

Impressive - how are you workng such a large rear projected screen in such a small space?

Guest pookie

With a mirror. I actually project the image forward (from just behind the panel) and bounce it off the mirror(s) on the wall. This gives me twice the distance in half the space :)

Guest mmorrell

Can you send (many) more details? What projector are you using? What are the distances and the mirror size involed? What material are you using for the display screen. This really is impressive. I have two projectors that I plan on using for front and left 45 degree display - I'm building a King Air so lots of left-turn visual approaches. My room is 12X8. I was planning on mounting the projectors on brackets from the ceiling so that the projection will clear the top of the shell, but if I can find a way to rear-project that will solve several potential problems I have.Thanks!

In the pic it looks like the sea inside the bay (Is that SF Bay?, btw) curves up on the left"wing" of the screen - is that just the camera angle, or does it actually look like that when you sit at the controls?Richard

Guest stevelep

What is the screen ?white textil stretch on a wood structure ?What about the pixel, Do you see it? because you seemvery close of the screen ...What the resolution of the video projector ?(real or extrapolate)Could you give the dimensions of screen (WxH, distance screen-eyes, sreen-mirror, mirror-projector)Thank's for advicesLook really great :-)That's what I planned for my biturboprops cockpit.I'll have closed cockpit with roof, window and overhead panelto increse realism and give the impress to be really in a cabin...Thank's lots for advices, good jobBOBpost more picture please

Guest Alkit

Hello pookie,May I know how many computers do you use for this sim at this moment?ThanksAlkit

Guest RichardL

Rick,The way I see it, the ends are turned in at maybe a 45 degree angle. I think that is why the water appears to be going up hill. Look to the left and you can see the screen is angled.I'm curious how that was done with one projector and one mirror.Richard

Guest pookie

Hi all,Thanks for your interest in my cockpit. It's great to have made enough progress to get asked these questions ... rather than me asking others for their details.Let me answer some of your questions:1. The projector is a PLUS brand projector (http://www.plus-america.com/u4136.html) Believe it or not, but I got it brand new with warranty on ebay for $800.2. The distance from the projector (just behind the panel) to the mirrors (on the wall) is only about 5 feet. Since the image then bounces off the mirrors to the back of the screen, the total distance is about 10 feet.3. The screen material is actually made of three individual sheets of vellum paper. Vellum is a translucent paper that's perfect for rear projection. The problem is that vellum is expensive and the largest is comes in a single sheet is 26" x 40". Luckily, my brother works in the printing industry, so he got me 10 sheets of it to test out. I made the screen frame out of 1x2s and am using one vellum sheet tallwise (in the center) and then two more sheets (one on each side of center). The side sheets take the turn after about 4 inches. The image that's projected is actually ONLY the front view. Since the screen is "curved", the image appears to wrap around the sides (a little) ... this gives the illusion of speed. The screen is 40" tall by 6 feet wide.4. I am a little close and if I look carefully, I can see the pixels, but as soon as you start the engines and taxi out you forget about the pixels (and the fact that the screen is actually made of 3 sheets of vellum) and you simply get immersed in the experience and you enjoy it. Basically, my point is ... it's not perfect, but it sure beats a 21" screen!!! The projector is awesome (see #2 above). Resulotion is 1024 x 768 (XGA) and it has 1500 lumens.5. The distance from where I sit to the screen is about 3 feet.All the above distances are approximate since I'm not going to measure it until I've decided on the best placement of everything. This was just a test and I think it worked great. I still have a lot to do, like build the entire enclosure. Once that's done, the screen may need to be farther away to allow the "engine cowling" to be mounted.6. Yes, the bay does wrap around a little in the above pic, but that's because the screen (actually the projected image) is not really horizontal. Again, this was just a test. I'll be doing a lot of tweaking to get it perfect. Other stuff I need to do is raise the eye point of the pilot so the runway is lower than the default. All this stuff is important, but not when I've got a million other things to do on the sim.7. This whole thing is all on 1 computer. I've got an Nvidia graphics card that allows two monitors so one is the LCD "gauges" and the other is the projector for outside view. I know, the next question will be about frame rates ... I have no idea since I've never looked, but I have not noticed any sluggishness. The gauges are really only a basic 2D display so I don't think I'm using any more PC resources for the large outside 3D view.Hope this helps everyone and thanks for all your feedback and questions. I'll post more pics as I build more.

Very nice idee with the mirror. I think about going in the same direction as you did.I have one suggestion. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make the upper and lower bar of the frame round. So if you would look from above to the frame you would see 90 - 100 degrees of a circle.Keep up the good work.Norberthttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch