Sign in to follow this  
Guest Binkles

Newbie - On All Counts

Guest Binkles

I'm new to the idea of building a simpit - though having said that I've been reading this, and researching all the sites that you've all listed.I'll start off by saying what my vision is, and then what my questions are.Firstly - I'm not looking for a complete simpit - I don't have the work, or the skills to build it - and then there is the money side of it.Ideally I would like to start with the likes of either the radio shack (then can be used with any plane), MCP for my pmdg737 and then maybe some of the overhead functions. I'm not looking for the exact dimensions and if they are a mm out I'll kill myself kind of thing - more what's going to offer my the best for the little space that i have on my desk - ie I also work at thisdesk, and need to be able to move them around the desk as required.My experience with electronics? Nada, zip, none what so ever. I've built one electronic board - and that was at school.I've looked at fsbus - and that looks really interesting, and i possibly the way I'll go, but the thought of printing the boards - or ordering them from overseas scares me. Soldering them - I'm fine with that, as I've soldered many wires, etc on pinballs, might still need to brush up my tidiness of solders, but I'd likely do some practise stuff.I've also looked at the iocockpit one, and again that looks impressive, and more professional, but again the boards are the stumbling block for me - I really don't like to buy electronic stuff over the net.How many people in New Zealand use either system? Would they be interested in printing some of the boards (paid of course).Should I go complete boards as I've never really done them before?I would love to hear your opinions, there are lots of people here, and as active builders would have more knowledge into whether someone with limited electronics/building skills should attempt some of this stuff.Thanks for your time

Guest ZKSHB

HiyaYou could do worse than get in touch with the guys at Simulation Hardwarehttp://www.simhardware.co.nz/They are based in Christchurch so costs would be in NZD + GST of course. They are a really helpful bunch and can advise you on your needs.Hope this helps.ZK-SHBIf it isn't Boeing, I'm not going.

Guest petdocvmd

Welcome to the world of simpit building!If your research did not include Mike's Flightdeck be sure to visit his site.I created the Photon system to fill the void between low budget, build from scratch and high-priced prebuilt offerings. It's ready to go out of the box and you can either use the GUI software to run your cockpit or write your own program in your favorite language to do so.Alternatively, Beta Innovations' products offer a lot of bang for the buck and are as well or better made than those at the top of the price spectrum.I'm sure you'll enjoy your project no matter how you choose to approach it :)Regards,Scott L. Fausel, VMDIntegrated Flight Systems

Guest Binkles

Simhardware are working on their own designs, and I don't think it's fair to ask them to make fsboards for me :)i would strongly suggest anyone wanting anything authentic looking to contact them, they are a great bunch of people, and really love their hobby and job. If you want anything, they will more than likely be able to help you.Anyways, I've decided not to try and etch the boards, Ive decided to go FSbus as the boards look simplier for the likes of me to work on. I've sent the design to a local place that will make them up for a quote.First panel I'm going to work on is a radio one :) So need to make up the 3 main pcbs to start with - key, fscom and the display :)I'll keep you informed of the progress.

>Anyways, I've decided not to try and etch the boards, Ive>decided to go FSbus as the boards look simplier for the likes>of me to work on. I've sent the design to a local place that>will make them up for a quote.Please see http://mikkila.wabbits.org/fsbus/doc/index_e.php and the "board photos" page - and double check with the board making company that they do make them correctly - it is all too common to get nice professional boards - but in mirror! So double check with them and show them the photos so the designs get correctly done.Good luck! :) And do prototypes first, do your research etc - it takes a while to "get used to the thinking" - you'll get a grasp on how to do things and what is possible and how.//Tuomas

Guest Binkles

Got the Quote back and it was for $180nz for the three boards (key, com and display).I'm now debating on whether I want to pay that amount of money to them, or try etching.I found a wee program that does schematic to veroboard thinking I could cheat and do it cheaper, but I think I will leave that idea for a while - unless someone has already got a layout for the vero boards.Meanwhile I've been practising my solder, bought two kits from my local electronics shop, and done one, which works well, and the other I'm progressing - yet they don't have all the parts.The resistors are damn hard to get the numbers correct - I'm surprised they haven't come out with a clearer format (ie some colours are damn close, and on thin lines.....I've got some for the roulette wheel I'm doing - they are skin coloured (almost) with one black bar - no mention in the manual what that is!