Sign in to follow this  
Guest belairvideo

TWIN OTTER STARTUP!!

Guest belairvideo

Hi all.So - I spend three years putting together an accurate full scale Twin Otter flight deck with a cracking looking overhead panel only to find that the LAGO version of Otter, can only be started with a mouse!!!LAGO have the best software by far, and I loathe to buy another companies Otter software - just so that I can start up using CTRL+E emulated to switches (not ideal). Has anybody any suggestions? I ainta computer wizard - but there must be some way round this???Desperate.TONY. From Plymouth England (where the pilgrims sailed from).

Hi Tony, you should be able to assign keystrokes to actual FS actions using FSUIPC, regardless of whether the software author supported those keystrokes - after all, the LAGO program is passing the actions to FS - you will just bypass it. Let's say the first step in starting your engine is to turn on the battery master. Assign that switch to send, say, "A". Then in FSUIPC you assign "A" to "Toggle battery master". Now it doesn't matter whether Lago made provision in their software for a keystroke for "Toggle Battery Master" - you've sent the command straight to FS.Richard

Guest belairvideo

Hi Richard.Many thanks for the advice - re: FSUIPC. I am now able to emulate to switches - Battery Master, Generators, Engines Shutdown and Engines Start. These were taken from Peters list in FSUIPC (keys).Unfortunately, he does not list "Bus DC" or "DC Master".Having got this far, I am not keen on using the mouse for these switches, and wonder if you have any idea's for getting around the problem? Perhaps there is another description that will activate the switches?Thanks a lot for your time.TONY.

I don't fly an Otter, so I'm not sure what the actual FS control is that that switch represents - my cockpit is a Cessna that has only a battery master and an alternator master. Have you tried asking Lago what the FS control is that is activated by the DC Master switch ? I don't have that Lago plane, so I can't tst for myself.The other thing you can do is run the three-way scan in FSInterrogate and see that way. FSInterrogate is in the FSUIPC SDK package - if you're not familiar with it, I'll post a brief 'how to' on it.Richard

Guest PoRrEkE

Not sure if this would work since LAGO is a commercial product.But what about aksing those guys over at LAGO to program key commands into the gauges for you ?I did the same with the F50 from Espen. With this difference that Espens panel is not payware and that I did think of this problem before building the sim. So I asked if he could do that for me and only then I started building.

>>Unfortunately, he does not list "Bus DC" or "DC Master".<http://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch

Guest belairvideo

Hi Richard.Thanks again for your time.I am afraid I don't know what "3 way scan" and "FS Interrogate" and FSUIPC SDK package" are!! I am on the coat tails of a lurning curve with computers etc, so this looks like a bit more studying (and I thought college was difficult!). I presume that I have to buy the SDK package from Peter? Can you give me an overview on what I will have to do to sort things out?Regards.TONY.

The FSUIPC SDK is for free. It is here:http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlFsinterrogate is a program to look at the ofsets. You make a change( in FS or via hardware or software or whatever) and you see the changes in the ofsets. It is nice for troublechecking and learning to find the right ofsets.Norbert

Guest PoRrEkE

If this is the case (and I believe it is) you might concider doing the folowing.Since you won't see the overhead panel (FS) you might save a flight with this Otter of yours with all things switched ON and then only just pretend that the switches on the overhead are off and you switch them on.I do something similar with my F50. There are quite a few things on the overhead that don't do nothing much in FS like turn on airco etc. I don't care if it doesn't interface to my computer. I just pretend that I have to switch it on and off.

Guest PoRrEkE

added comment to this:SDK = software development kitstands for info on how to program or build something for the thing itself.like an fs2002 Gmax SDK will explain you how to build an airplane or building with Gmax to use in FS2002. etc etc.

Guest dc6driver

TonyI am in the research phase now so I have no practical experience but have come across a program at the wideview website called key2mouse.If all else fails this program will map the coordinates of the hot spot on the instrument panel you would normally use with the mouse to actuate that function, ie. dc master switch, this would allow you to assign a real switch to that function. The computer would then think the real switch is the mouse being clicked on the dc master switch hot spot location on the instrument panel. http://www.wideview.it/key2mouse.htmFritz

Guest belairvideo

Thanks Fritz.I am experimenting with this today. hope it works!TONY.