Sign in to follow this  
Guest mmorrell

GPS/NAV Display question

Guest mmorrell

All,I am building a GPS on a second monitor for my King Air cockpit. I can drag and drop the display (have tried the built in FS9 GPS as well as FS FlightXax). The problem is that while I can get the display on the second monitor no problen (7"XGA display), vut the FRMAE of the GPS takes up a portion of the display. Since I am using real switches to control the unit, I don't want anything in the GPS window except the data area... no frames.Does anyone know of a program that will go full screen on just the display, as in the Project Magenta ND display? Any assistance is appreciated.

Guest PoRrEkE

FSnav ?just an idea ..not really a GPS but close to it ..otherwise you should maybe make your "window" covering your display smaller ..

Guest mmorrell

Thanks, but I am simulating real systems only... the capabilities are there, so I'm going for it.The problem with masking the display is that I am dealing with a 7" XGA display... If I were to mask the frames I would end up with a 4" screen. 1 1/2" sort of the real unit.Keep those suggestins coming tho! Much appreciated.

Guest captain777

A suggestion....set the resolution of the screen to be bigger than the actual screen...so the desktop 'runs over' the edges of the actual screen. e.g. if you are set to 1024x768 currently, you should upgrade the setting to 1600x1200 if your video card handles it. This way, your GPS face is big and the frame runs off the screen. You have to use the mouse to scroll to the unseen areas of the desktop.I have done this quite by accident, and always have to recover from the issue...but this case may be one where you want this problem!Just another suggestion.

Guest mmorrell

Thanks, and believe me, I have tried this. THe problem is that the 7" displays only support up to 1024 X 768. This means I would have to run FS9 at 800X600.... obviously not an option.THanks though!

Some video card drivers allow you to define a larger "virtual desktop" that is bigger than your screen resolution - you can then "pan around" in the desktop by scrolling the "viewport" with the mouse.//Tuomas

Guest mmorrell

Yep - not this one tho...it's an old Voodoo 3Dx. No virtual desktop.I'm beginning to think that using PM ND is the way to go.... Unfortunate since the newer KA's hav Garmin GPS's.Thanks Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

How 'bout an other display ? :/Maybe you can find a bigger one TFT on e-bay or such .. ?And then mask this bigger display with the current masker (mask = smaller than display)Option ?

>How 'bout an other display ? :/>>Maybe you can find a bigger one TFT on e-bay or such .. ?>And then mask this bigger display with the current masker>(mask = smaller than display)>>Option ?Actually, the fun thing is: The FS9 GPS gauge is made in XML. Thus it is possible, if someone knows enough of gauge tweaking, to effectively make a gauge without a frame. Thus you could get a full-panel GPS *screen*.This would be an useful mod for the gauge, anyone familiar with the XML gauge work? :)I think all the GPS functions are exported from FSUIPC.dll, right? So one wouldnt even need to worry about the knobs.//Tuomas

Guest mmorrell

Now THAT is the kind of answer I was hoping for. Now if I only had any clue on how to work with gauges. Is there a utility that allows you to modify them? Interfacing switches and controls is no problem...

Guest mmorrell

Now THAT is the kind of answer I was hoping for. Now if I only had any clue on how to work with gauges. Is there a utility that allows you to modify them? Interfacing switches and controls is no problem...

>Now THAT is the kind of answer I was hoping for. Now if I>only had any clue on how to work with gauges. Is there a>utility that allows you to modify them? Interfacing switches>and controls is no problem... Use winzip or something to look inside the .cab - there's a bunch of BMP images and some XML text files. In theory one could just adjust the coordinates of things and comment out the frame parts of the "gps front panel" -but it might be a bit more complex than that, I guess all coordinates need to be translated around.What you could do is ask in the panel design forum if someone has some pointers on where to start, or if someone even can help you with the gauge.But you dont need any special "programs" to do that - just edit the XML. There is a "cab" packaging utility, but you can also just make a folder in FS9's "gauges" dir like gauges/myGPS/ and have everything inside it, it should work. Just need to use the myGPS as the gauge name then.I dont know enough to help any more than that though :/ I have just done some minimal gauge tweaking sometimes. FS Panel Studio has some gauge editing tools, but it was not that practical to really tweak things with it, better done with notepad or some programming editor.//Tuomas