Sign in to follow this  
Guest pdieguez

Schematics and board making

Guest pdieguez

Hello guysWhich one is the best software to make my own schematics and let it assemble the board???Thanks a lotPaulo

Guest mbessler

>Hello guys>>Which one is the best software to make my own schematics and>let it assemble the board???the one you like most :-)... seriously, everyone has their own opinion which one's the best.I use eagle (www.cadsoft.com). They have a version that can be used for free for non-commerical purposes. The only annoying limit for hobbyists is that the PCB size is limited to 100x80mm (ie. 1/2 Euro size).Other packages have different limits, often the number of pins and such.I usually hit the pin limit earlier than eagle's board size limit.If you want to pay for it, eagle is still on the cheap side. The full featured commerical version costs less than 1000 bucks AFAIR.Others packages often reach 5 digit prices, some high end ones even 6 digit prices.One note: If you've used any schematics capture / pcb layout program, you need realize that it takes some time to learn/figure out how to use such a program (whichever one you use).I think eagle is one of the easier ones to learn though. Thats probably one reason its so popular with hobbyistsManuel

Guest pdieguez

Ok, thanks... With this free version, it the board size the only limit? Is it possible to save and load normally?Thanks a lotPaulo

Guest MikePowell

I think there are some other limits, but they're ones you're unlikely to run up against. Like "only" four layers. As I recall the number of packages and holes are limited as well.Saving and Loading works normally.Eagle Lite is the free version. It's a great way to start.Mikewww.mikeflightdeck.com

Guest pdieguez

Ok, thanks,.. Where can I found some good documentation about it?? I've created a little schematics and gone into the board editor.. Does this editor just automatically place the wires for me or does physically place the parts too??Thanks a lotPaulo

Guest mbessler

Mike:>I think there are some other limits, but they're ones you're>unlikely to run up against. Like "only" four layers. As IEagle Light is limited to two layers for signals (top and bottom). Other layers are not limited. In fact, you can place wires, text and other objects outside the 100x80mm limited area. As long as a library object does not have pads, vias, and nothing on either top or bottom, such an objectcan be placed anywhere.>recall the number of packages and holes are limited as well.No, the number of holes and packages are not limited.Paulo:the pcb editor does not automatically place your components. (no autoplacer built in to eagle). It does have an autorouter, but usually you want to place the wires yourself. (esp. for single sided boards)oops. just noticed that the link in my first post was wrong.Here are the correct ones:http://www.cadsoft.dehttp://www.cadsoftusa.comHere's a direct link to the description of Eagle Light:http://cadsoft.de/freeware.htmManuel

Guest MikePowell

Thanks for the corrections, Manuel. I'm apparently confusing Eagle Lite restrictions with something else.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com