Sign in to follow this  
Guest mondo

Redec

Guest mondo

Where can one get this redec? I am using FSBUS and may need it.

Guest stevelep

Personnaly I've built it alone following this:http://hongkongfui.de/REDec/redec09b.pdfI've bought an empty IC laboratory platethe 3 CMOS, and the 2 resistors and have sold and link them withsmall bridge-wire according to the sheme.That worksIf you're in Europe you may buy it by http://www.cockpitsonic.de You must ask by email cause redec is not yet in the online shop.BOB

Guest pdieguez

Are those 3 ICS the same as Texas Instruments CD4011 and CD4066, from mouser.com??If so, this board would cost less than USD5,00. So, what would make me use Leo's decoder, that uses PIC, in which is much more expensive than that german one? I know that Leo's supports 3 rotary encoders, right? Even though, the german would be cheaper, at least here in Brazi...Thanks a lotPaulo

Guest LeoL

> So, what would>make me use Leo's decoder, that uses PIC, in which is much>more expensive than that german one? I cannot guaranty my decoder will work with FSBUS or any other input board except for my USB modules. I've never tried them on other boards and no one has told me if they work or not with other boards so that would be a risk you would take in this case.Richard is currently testing a new design that should work with most input boards.>I know that Leo's>supports 3 rotary encoders, right?Yes, the current design supports 3 rotaries.-Leo

Leo:>>Richard is currently testing a new design that should work with most input boards.And it works !Your last email solved my problem. The boards have now been tested, and work, with both a common ground input board and a matrix scan board (a hacked keyboard)Richard

Guest JMA

Hello Paulo, I live here in Brasil and I would like to talk with you. If is possible send me a email. alv_mar@terra.com.br

Guest pdieguez

You send me one at [pdieguez at terra dot com dot br].C'yaPaulo

Leo's boards cost me about $5 each to get made commercially. (The $7 each I quoted buyers included my costs in shipping them back out, buying an Int'l money order, etc / etc) The PIC's are only about $1.40 each from Microchip, and the rest is just half a dozen transistors, half a dozen resistors, and some headers if you want to make your own. Richard

Guest pdieguez

You send me one atpdiguez at terra dot com dot brC'yaPaulo

Guest pdieguez

Well, but here in Brazil things are a bit more expensive, so I keep thinking what makes Leo's PIC board any better than that one using logic gates..C'yaPaulo

Guest coenc

>Leo's boards cost me about $5 each to get made commercially.These are not the same as ReDec, aren't they?

Guest LeoL

They essentially do the same thing, decode rotaries. There's really not much more to it than that. Perhaps the only real advantage with my decoder is that the PIC micro can be reprogrammed with new code (i.e. decode other types of rotaries).-Leo

Guest LeoL

Paulo was asking what the difference is between the redec and my decoder and that's where the confusion probably came in, but they are not the same circuit.The redec circuit uses logic IC's to decode the rotary whereas mine uses a programmed PIC micro to decode rotaries.-Leo

Guest pdieguez

Allright thanks.! But while your redec only supports gray code rotary encoders, the same applies to that other circuit, right? Do you have plans on accepting other types of rotary encoders?C'ya!Paulo

Guest LeoL

> Do you have plans on accepting other types of rotary encoders?Yes I will be adding support for other types since I can couldn't find any gray code rotaries with integrated switch. All I could find was 2-bit binary and 4-bit gray code types. So I will be adding support for those at some point.I can't say what type the redec circuit supports for certain but hopefully someone else can answer that for you. -Leo