Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alkit

Projector talk

Guest mmorrell

Guys,One thing to consider here - Marco told me that although the setup for the display looks great in the video, in real life it is a bit pixelated and he is looking for an alternative solution.

Guest Alkit

Thanks Mitch for the information.Just bought a local mazgine and see there is a DLP projector from BenQ (Acer). Model PB6200, 2000:1 contrast, 1700 ansi lumen, XGA, USD$1700. is it a good choice? please commentI was considering Sanyo PLV-Z2 LCD 1300:1, 800 Ansi, SVGA $2100. As it is a "hittest" one here. The brand sounds good, but compare the feature, seems the BenQ is better.Infocus, Sony, those big brand are way too expensive!!Now my plan is making a 2D projection, one big and flat screen without side views. From time to time, when I build my understanding to the projection display, will get the side view as well.Alkit

Alkit,After several nights researching DLP projectors, I have decided on the BenQ PB6200. I could not find a negative user's review anywhere on the net! You may have discovered in your research that some DLP projectors create an unwanted "rainbow effect". Since I have never used a DLP projector, I am not sure exactly what this is, but it seems to be the most common drawback to using a DLP projector. According to several user reviews, the BenQ PB6100 and PB6200 (and other models) do not produce this rainbow effect, thanks to the 3x Color Wheel these models incorporate. All user reviews that I found indicate that the resulting image is crisp, clear, and high in contrast (bright whites to dark blacks).One of the main considerations for my installation was the Throw Ratio of the projector (ratio of image size to projection distance). Normal throw ratios for the common DLP projectors is on the order of 1.5:1 to 2.0:1. This means that in order to project an image that measures 6 feet diagonally, the projector would be placed approximately 9 feet to 12 feet from the screen or projection surface. Thanks the short throw lens of the PB6200 projector, this projector has throw ratios throughout the usable projection distance range from approximately 1.0:1 up to 1.4:1. Bottom line, this projector can create the same size image with shorter projection distances! This is an important consideration if your installation takes place within a smaller room.All in all, the projector appears to be a great buy! The lowest price that I have found online is at www.costcentral.com. They sell the PB6200 for $1,480 (USD), and the PB6100 for only $929 (USD). Additionally, they have free shipping (within the US) for purchases over $599 (USD). The PB6200 appears to be a great value for a DLP projector with native XGA (1024 x 768) resolution, 1,700 lumens, short throw (wide angle) lens, etc.... I'll be purchasing one shortly (as soon as my income tax refund check arrives!).I'll post a follow-up once I receive the projector and have a chance to evaluate it.

Guest Alkit

Hello Gerald,Seems like we both have the same requirement of short distance projection.The brand of BenQ is quite new to me. That's my only doubtful concern. Price and feature are both good. The projector itself should be either made in Taiwan or China. Compare with Sanyo and Panasonic, I assume they are made in Japan for this kind of high price products. This, perhaps a disadvantage.As there are no negative feedback for it yet, we should feel confident to make our purchase.I look forward to hear your feedback.May I know your plan to setup the projector display?Alkitwww.alkit747.com

Alkit,My intended setup is a bit complicated to describe, but I'll try my best. In order to create a dark environment for the projected images, I will be constructing a projection enclosure measuring approximately 16 feet wide (left side to right side) by 11 feet deep (front to rear) by 9.5 feet high. This enclosure will house a total of 5 projectors, providing a 225-degree horizontal field of view. The projectors will be suspended from the ceiling frame of the enclosure. Mirrors will be used in order to direct the projected image to the screen. Each image (projector) will provide a 45-degree horizontal field of view, consistent with a zoom factor of 1.0 in flight sim. The images will be displayed on a continuous curved screen. The placement of the projectors mirrors and screen has been performed in an attempt to maintain visual accuracy and consistency from within the simulator. I have based this design on the average viewpoint (eyepoint) between the captain's seat and first officer's seat, which compromises visual accuracy. I may increase the distance to the screen slightly in order to reduce the parallax error caused by designing based on the average viewpoint, instead of the captain' viewpoint. Since this design is based on an average viewpoint, I will also adjust the pilot's viewpoint of the flight sim aircraft that I use to be located at the center of the aircraft, instead of the approximate location of the left seat.At this point, this design is purely conceptual, and is subject to modifications during construction and testing. In order to help you visualize the enclosure design, I have attached a couple of JPEG files.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/71458.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/71459.jpg

Guest Alkit

This would be a PERFECT view display. I think I should use this method of projection instead of projecting from the back diretly. The reason because direct rear projection will require a very high projection path to avoid the overhead panel. In your graphic, overhead panel wont be an issue at all. Do I need a special mirror for this type of projection?Your plan should be many simmer's dream. It needs a lot of money. In fact, can this be done by three projectors instead of five? This may simplify the setting of the computer network.Last time when I was in the 777 simulator, the external display screen seems not too far away from the cockpit. Perhaps they are doing in other way.I will get one projector for getting a feeling to fly with big screen first (should be late this year or early next year.From time to time, when I know more about its characteristic, then I will increase to use two or three projector. Money is also a factor.Alkit

Alkit,Ideally, you would use optical grade first surface mirrors. This type of mirror has the reflecting surface coating on the front of the glass, instead of the rear of the glass (as in your typical household mirror). First surface mirrors eliminate ghosting of the reflected image caused by diffraction of the projected light rays passing through the glass to get to the reflecting surface. Optical grade first surface mirrors are quite expensive. A slightly less expensive alternative is a "glassless" acrylic mirror. Additionally, there are mirrors which consist of aluminized mylar film streched over a rigid frame. Both of these alternatives are sometimes found in rear projection systems and have the added advantage of reduced weight as compared with glass mirrors. A couple of links that may provide you with some additional information are:www.delmarvaglasslessmirrors.comwww.hudsonphotographic.com/rearprojection/mirglasls.htmIn all honesty, standard household glass mirrors may provide an acceptable solution if the projected light beam is nearly perpendicular to the mirror, and a thin mirror (approx. 1/8 inch) is used. Before I invest in first surface mirrors, I intend to try a thin glass household mirror, purchased at my local home improvement store. If acceptable, this would be the least expensive solution.

Guest Alkit

Let me get back to the basic a bit for get ready to have a simple setup.1. If I use one computer ONLY, can I display the external front view by the projector, and the panel by the monitor?2. If I can do the above, is that a two display output ports display card and the software of WideFS all I need for this setup?This is the simpliest setup I can think of for the very first step.ThanksAlkit

>>1. If I use one computer ONLY, can I display the external>front view by the projector, and the panel by the monitor?Yes, you just expand your desktop. Put the undocked external view window on the projector and the instruments on the monitor>2. If I can do the above, is that a two display output ports>display card and the software of WideFS all I need for this>setup?You'll need a videocard with 2 outputs. The second can be a video-out, just lead that to the projector. Perhaps a specially designed card with 2 vga out ports is beter from a technical viewpoint, not sure about that.You do not need WideFS (containing wideserver and wideclient) when using 1 PC. That is for network setup, it gives client PC's (without FS) the illusion that FS is running on it.regardsNorbert

Guest Alkit

Hello Norbert,Thank you for your responding.I think I will buy a video card with two VGA ports instead of one extra TV output. This is because I don't want to fly with 640 x 720 resoltuion.It would waste my projector's bulb life (my money).However, seems there is only one company which produce display card with two vga output. My friend's comment on that is slow!Alkit

Alkit, ppl,Sorry if it was already mentionned but....I came across this site today : http://www.elumens.com/Their systems seems very nice and very appropriate to us.Dunno about pricing however.... Seems LCD proj. are integrated in bundles.-Jerome.PS for Alkit : you forgot me on your builders survey !

Though it is possible, think about frame rates. I think they will drop with 2 screens, and probably only one will get 3d acceleration (the one with the panel can do without).regards Norbert

Guest Alkit

Hello Jerome,Thanks for sharing the information.It looks so great, and expensive!!!! Any idea for its price?Just add your name into the list and will be update by next post. May I have your city/country information?Alkit

No idea about the price !It seems they make the price depending on customer face !But what seems interesting is their "Custom Dev" section.Seems they can do whatever you want... Or maybe advise.For the survey, it was already posted !

Guest Alkit

Hi all,I see there are two resolution standards which should be good for using projector for flight sim. That is the XGA 1024 x 768 and other one is 1280 x 720.My question is 1280 x 720 seems not a standard resolution available from display card. Those projector with this resolution have DVI or VGA port at its back. Which mean it can work as computer display. What will happen if I use a 1280 x 720 resolution for computer display? Will it limit the actual display resolution to 800 x 600 provided by the display card? or it can use the most of the resolution of the projector for 1280 x 720 (instead of 768) ??Please advise. Thank you.Best regards,Alkit