Sign in to follow this  
Guest bowingic

Video Cards for Second Monitor

Guest bowingic

Hi allDoes the second (and third) video card for multiple screen output have to be anything special? I have been under the impression that the main card in the pc does all the processing and the extra (pci) cards only dump images, in which case a standard 4MB PCI card may suffice, but I'm not sure about this. Can anyone shed further light on this subject and advise suitable pci cards for this purpose. I think this will be of interest to many others considering multiple monitors.Thanks in advanceIan

Guest mmorrell

Each card works on it's own using the appropriate drivers. The second window (which can be assigned to either card)displays only 2D images... not 3D, even if the card has the capability. This is a limitation of the operating system.I use an old 64MB VooDoo card for my second display in my FS9 computer which I will eventually use to display the GPS display.

Guest bowingic

Many Thanks That MS link clearly explained it all.Ian

Guest mmorrell

Hmmm... great info, and I was WRONG! Sorry about the misinformation - I was unaware of this change in FS9. (I know... RTFM!)This spec from that page kills me - minimum requirement for fs9:(8 Mb of video memory, full 3D hardware acceleration, and DirectX 9 compatible drivers). Yeah right! Anyway - sorry about that!

Guest bowingic

No worries Mitch, thats why I asked the question....I also had the wrong idea....or at least the pre FS2004 idea. What interested me was that it said the main panel was 3D....I always thought this was 2D and the virtual panel 3D. Be interested to hear why this is so ??Cheers and thanks for the inputIan