Sign in to follow this  
Guest MatthiasSp

Speed, heading and altitude selectors

Guest MatthiasSp

Hi All,I am currently building a 777 sim using EPIC and Project Magenta and I am new to this forum.Last weekend I came across the following question: For selecting the speed for example there are 4 offsets in Project Magenta: Inc/Dec in steps of 1 and Inc/Dec in steps of ten. I think that it is necessary to use all of them because using only Inc/Dec in steps of 1 means rotating the knob too often. It is the same for the heading and altitude selectors.At the moment I have standard rotary encoders and I am thinking about using dual concentric encoders to do the job.So I am asking how you are solving this problem? Any ideas? Is there another way instead of using dual concentric rotary encoders?Thank you in advance,Matthias

MatthiasI have no experience with EPIC, though I read a lot about it. Then came FSBUS and I decided to use that.I know EPIC is the most versatile input/output device on the market, but you need some programming skills.My suggestion. If you turn your knob les than one second, increase/decrease with only 1. If longer then with ten.The same goes with altitude etc. Just experiment with it.RegardsNorbert

Guest MatthiasSp

Norbert,Thank for your answer. The idea sound good but the rotary encoder outputs pulses and I am not sure how to detect a turn of a second. But maybe I can count the number of pulses within a second or so...I will make some tests.Thanks again,Matthias

Guest High Octane

Matthias. What kind of rotary encoder circuit are you using? Is it EPIC interface board or a custom build circuit? Based om my experience on EPIC, buiding custom encoder circuit. I've declared delay of time on EPL to get that in a perfect turn in seconds. .1S is probablly the best recommendation.

Guest MatthiasSp

Hi Arthur,I am using the encoder boards from Ray (Blue Side Up). But I must say that I do not have any idea on how to do the programming for that. Do you have a small EPL example on that which you can share with me? You can also email me at matthias@spahrmann.de.Thank you very much,Matthias

Guest steve_j

Hi!Look at http://www.mindspring.com/~rrelect/epic/USB/usb_examples.htm.There you will find examples in "BaseTick.zip" how to check the rotation speed. P. Dickenmann has also speed control in his EPL code: www.podsystems.chSteve---------------------------------------------------------------------Do you know the A320 Flightdeck Project? Visit www.a320flightdeck.com

Guest MatthiasSp

Hi Steve,Thank you for the links. I forgot to mention that I have the EPIC ISA and not USB. I looked into the sample of R&R and into the USB code of P. Dickenmann (the ISA code seems not to contain such a routine).EPL code for USB seems to be different from the ISA code so it is difficult for me to see what is happening. I understand the timer loops but I do not understand which way is detected if the rotary encoder is still turned or not? EPIC sees rotary encoders like a momentary switch that is pressed often very fast. So I think the only way to check if it is still turned is to check if it is active (ifactive(xxx)call yyy). But at the time I am checking this, it might be that the state of the rotary is inactive although I am still turning the knob. Or am I wrong?Regards,Matthias

Guest High Octane

Hello again Matthas,As matter of fact, these EPIC USB codes you saw from the link can still work with EPIC ISA.likewise, you're just updating ISA. But, USB cannot work with ISA's codes. Unless you still wish to use ISA codes insetad of uSB. Well to say, I had a vaguely memory.. which I would not give the best answer but can use my effort. I doubt you will need to set the time of detecting pluse, Not in ISA, (I never used it, it works well) but check with Ralph Robinson for confirmation first. Rotary Encoder, EPICISA codes.#define FASTSCAN 0#define Module (0, FASTSCANm 0, 3):Init{ senddata (7,0,0b01010101) //Mod 0 senddata (7,0,0b01010101) //Mod 1 senddata (7,0,0b01010101) //Mod 2 senddata (7,0,0b01010101) //Mod 3};Two thing I must remind you.... First, EPICISA can only hold up to 4 modules (0-3) and 16 encoders. Second... inside the "()", the zero and ones is based on the type of encoder you are using. and only up to 4 type that I know so far.Defaults ---------> 002 phase optical---> 01ALPS--------------> 10GreyHill----------> 11So the code above I written is obviously a 2 phrase optical (panasonic EVM)

Guest MatthiasSp

Hi Arthur,Thank you very much, again. I just updated my EPIC ISA and it seems to work (not all checked up to now). Then I wrote to Ralph to clarify some points.Now I need time to make myself familiar with the "new" EPIC and make my way through the rotary encoder examples...Regards,Matthias