Sign in to follow this  
Guest darrens

Help needed connecting rotary decoder (to photon)

Guest petdocvmd

Okay, looks like the following amendment should finalize things:For OUTPUT jumpers, pins 1 and 3 are "A" and "B" outputs that you connect to Photon Input Module ports while pins 2 & 4 are connected to GND.Tested and working fine with Photon.Sorry for contributing to the confusion! Hopefully this will do it!-Scott

Guest RichardL

Anyone know a source for Quadrature (phase coded) relative encoders with push button switch. I was informed those are rotary encoders needed to connect to the decoder board. Apparently my CTS 2-bit gray rotaries will not work.I have had no luck at Mouser, Newark, and Grayhill. Digi-key has a cheap one but without switch. Thanks,Richard

Guest RichardL

Just to clarify, the push button switch feature is only needed by me for the Airbus FCU. Push button is not required for the decoder board.Richard

Guest LeoL

The logic of 2-bit gray IS phase encoded. Your CTS should work with the decoder but depending on models, every 2nd detent will result in a pulse. Do you have a link to spec sheets I can take a look?-Leo

Guest RichardL

Hi Leo,I'll ask Scott to forward you the .pdf file. Richard

Guest LeoL

Richard,I just looked through the pdf file and the RTS you specified are not 2-bit gray, they come in either 2-bit binary or 4-bit gray and neither is compatible with my decoder.These require completely different logic to decode. From what I can tell you will only get 1 pulse every 4th detent using my decoder.Unfortunately I have not been able to find compatible 2-bit gray code rotaries with the integrated switch like the RTS you have.-Leo

Guest RichardL

Thanks for looking at the data sheet Leo.That is disturbing news. The Airbus FCU and EFIS requires push-pull switching along with the rotaty. I built six holders specifically for those rotaries. The second "pull" switch was added by using a snap switch. The setup works perfectly and I was looking forward to the rotary for changing display readouts. Not sure what to do now. I suppose I'll keep hunting for a replacement rotary.Again, thanks for the help,RichardP.S. I don't remember reading anything about the type of rotary needed for the Pan16. I never thought to ask if mine were compatible. In case anyone else is have poblems, you might want to verify your rotaty encoders are compatible.

Guest darrens

Richard, are you using the Photon? Do you get some indications that a pulse is being dectected allbeit sporadic?I'm having problems despite all being connected correctly. I emailed Peter Cos of FDS asking what type of rotaries I have (using their push-pulls) and was told they are 'standard' units. I've been searching the web to order some rotaries myself to test different types but I'm having difficulty finding any!This is really getting frustrating :-)Best wishes,Darren

Guest RichardL

Hi Darren,Yes, I'm using the Photon. I do get sporatic display changes, but mostly nothing. I can see the red test light sometimes, but again mostly nothing. Last night, both the altimeter AND altitude were making sporatic changes even though only the altimeter was mapped. I looked at Pete's site. I'm guessing, but I would think he sells rotaries that just support the interfaceIT. You must have purchased his rotary holders for the Airbus? You probably have the same type encoders as I do. I purchased mine from AGT/Aircraft Simulators.I'm still researching. I may have found a possible sub at Mouser. It's a Bourns 12mm 2-bit gray quadrature output and switch. Not sure if it will fit my holder.I'm a bit disappointed with this issue also. As I wrote earlier, I don't recall ever reading anything about the type of rotary needed. If I had, I probably would not have purchased the Pan16 decoders. I'll keep looking and post if I see any rotaries that might work.Richard

Guest darrens

Thanks, Richard.I'm getting the same results as you with the Photon. Well at least I now know the probable cause - incompatible rotary with the decoder. I must admit, I didn't think there were different types of rotaries.I would be grateful if you would keep me posted if you do find a rotary that works. but then there will be the wuestion of I can fit to to FDS's push pulls! :(darren@sugden.karoo.co.ukBest wishes,Darren

Guest RichardL

I just received verification from Scott and Leo that the Bourns PEC11, 2-bit gray code with quadrature output rotary WILL work with the RD-PAN16F.Mouser part number: 652-PEC11-4225F-S24. Bourns part number: PEC11-4225F-S0024. This p/n has a built-in push switch. Mouser has others without push switch.Here is the Bourns data sheet: http://www.bourns.com/2/pdfs/pec11.pdfI'd advise researching this yourself before ordering.Hope this helps,Richard

Guest LeoL

> I'd advise researching this yourself before ordering.Absolutely! I OFFICIALLY warn EVERYONE that I never tried these with my decoder and that the decoder requires 2-BIT GRAY CODE types only. Not 4-bit gray, 3-bit green, 0-bit red nor blue. Just 2-BIT GRAY or GREY CODE!Consider my 'recall' offer carefully before spending more money on these rotaries.

Guest darrens

That was a very kind gesture about the 'recall' but I don't see having another choice other than finding different rotaries :-)Regards.Darren